Redis or Memcached

bsmither

Comparing usability between caching by files versus memcached.

(I am not experiencing a discernible difference in speed. My development environment is just me and a dedicated server.)

So, with a simple hack (requested on the GitHub), I can examine the contents of a specific cache file.

I can't do that with Memcached. (There is FastoNoSQL, but its license is confusing.)

So, with that in mind, and having found "phpRedisAdmin", has there been any headaches or regrets at using Redis with CubeCart?

2 hours ago, bsmither said:

(I am not experiencing a discernible difference in speed. My development environment is just me and a dedicated server.)

A single very low volume user on a fast server and especially with fast SSD disks will not see noticeable or measurable differences.  However, even on medium sized sites there are massive performance benefits and the larger the site, the bigger the benefit.  In addition, multiple sites on one server will see bigger performance gains.  Almost no hosting companies will install REDIS on any form of shared hosting server and even memcached is not installed that often.

We had REDIS and memcached on all of our servers but are moving away from using REDIS on new server builds in favour of memcached which will always be available across our network.

15 minutes ago, bsmither said:

and have no anecdotal stories of others having issues with using Redis with CubeCart.

I doubt if you will find any CubeCart users using Redis - we currently dont have any (after using it almost exclusively due to the historical problems that CubeCart had with memcached which were sorted a while back).  Redis is installed on a couple of our servers because it hasnt been taken off of a few yet but in terms of being used, it is only on our Magento sites, where it is especially useful for Full Page Cache

Archived