website upgrade

peterp

Hi All,

I have a been touched by the brilliance of Go daddy changing servers on me which has resulted in our website not working correctly. When I ask them what has gone wrong they keep telling me that some malware has overwritten some of our files which ones is anybodies guess. We have website security which is suppose to protect us from this but clearly it doesn't and they don't have a backup of our site before the server transfer which we didn't know about until after it had been done and failed. OK that's enough of me grisling,  what I heed to know is that if I upgrade the site which is version 6.0.12 to the latest version of cubecart will the upgrade over write the program files. All of the current database entries seem to be intact and OK. An example of what the site is doing right now is showing the home page but when a category is selected it just re displays the home page and nothing else, when I check the database all of the products are attached to a category and even when I try to attach an existing product to new category the same result.

So here's hoping that by upgrading I will get the site back to being useful.

Hope somebody can point me in the right direction and all help is appreciated.

Best Regards,

Peterp

Please examine the file .htaccess in CubeCart's main folder.

Near the bottom there should be a statement that says to send the /index.php file for all 404 responses.

As of CubeCart 6, using search engine friendly URLs is the only way to access CubeCart's pages.

However, using these kinds of URLs requires the cooperation of the web server.

Take note of these directives:

### Rewrite rules for SEO functionality ###
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteBase /
  RewriteRule ^(.*)?$ index.php?seo_path=$1 [L,QSA]
</IfModule>

These rewrite rules will only happen if the mod_rewrite extension for the web server is installed, and if the web server's configuration file allow for .htaccess directives to overrule the established/default directives the web server would otherwise follow.

So, verify with GoDaddy if the web server serving your pages allows for overruling directives, and then that the mod_rewrite extension for the web server is installed and activated.

Hi Brian,

The .htaccess file has the statement to send all 0 to the index,php also rewrite rules are as you show except this line 'RewriteRule ^(.*)?$ index.php?seo_path=$1 [L,QSA]' does not appear should I add this line to my .htaccess file and if the server allows overruling directives will an upgrade rewrite the files for me and get my website back to the way it was

best Regards,

Peterp

Did I read you right when you said that some files were changed, but no one knows which ones?

If you believe some files are still not original (either changed by the malware or by your own customizations), then re-installing that same version (6.0.12?) will overwrite all stock files - but leave any files added (such as skins other than Foundation, extensions, images, etc) as they are.

Should you choose to upgrade to CC651, be aware that you must be running PHP 8.1 to do so.

Edited by bsmither