Turn off mail function when using PayPal Commerce in sandbox mode?

LIBERTY

Hi. Have been trying the PayPal Commerce utility on a couple of other makes of cart, purely to test its functionality, as I truly still prefer the simplicity of PayPal Std.

One thing I have found when using Cubecart with Commerce in sandbox mode, is that it sending out order confirmation and 'thank you for your payment' emails to what is a non existent sandbox purchase email account. Obviously none of these are getting delivered, so it gives the impression my sites are sending out junk mail.   

The other two carts I've been playing with don't sent out acknowledgement emails when in sandbox box.  I am guessing that is down to the fact that with Cubecart a condition has to be manually edited on a php file then uploaded back to the server, so the admin currently has no way of knowing not to send out the emails?

Just wondering if this mail sending can be temporarily turned off in one of the php files somewhere, while I test in sandbox mode, as can't keep sending out undeliverable emails to the same address.  Ideally a 'switch' in Cubecart for sandbox/live tied to email repression is a better long term option.

Thanks...

Please, please, please,  forget about Paypal Standard! It's a legacy product that's going to be discontinued by PayPal. PayPal Commerce has far more features and is proven to generate increased sales. 

Obviously none of these are getting delivered, so it gives the impression my sites are sending out junk mail.   

Yes maybe these should be disabled if in Sandbox mode. I'll open a feature request for that.

PayPal's response to 'Std' being discontinued, was that "their PayPal Standard product is currently deployed on hundreds of thousands of sites worldwide, whose infrastructure means that PayPal Commerce could not be incorporated into those sites.  Consequently there are no plans to discontinue the PayPal Standard product."

I do understand where they coming from with that, as often come across sites with just three or four primary products.  I have a full UK verified business PayPal account, so don't have restrictions with using commerce over std.

I will have a look through the code myself to see if I can disable the mail function.  Couldn't see anywhere in the admin section where I can close the entire email function off..

With PayPal standard your customers have to register on your website filling in their address etc. This is a big sales barrier alone let alone all the other advantages like alternative payment methods. Pay Later, Venmo (US)... Etc.

What's the appeal to stay on std? I can't get my head around it.

Well one 'barrier' to using Commerce I've found since playing with it, is the requirement to put your customer service telephone number in the link up process.  Mine has always been set at zeros for a number of years, which has been fine with standard and express PayPal for years.  I run online businesses, so purely use contact forms and email.   PayPal has to realise whilst businesses are online 24/7, they are not necessarily manned 24/7, which is why none of my sites have contact numbers either.

From a data protection point of view, I would also have concerns about what data PayPal would be sharing with its software partners.  There has never been any tie into the cart providers before Commerce came out.  There no transparency put out there by PayPal, which is a concern for a lot of people.

The biggest shopping cart software on the web, now has plugins developed by community developers that restores the hidden PayPal Standard gateway back into that software, so there obviously a significant demand there.

Interesting. I can feed this back to PayPal. PayPal Commerce asks for more info on sign up due to what's known in the trade as KYC know your customer. In order to confirm your identity as a business and assess risk for providing card services. It's not just PayPal it's across the industry.

https://www.paypal.com/c2/webapps/mpp/kyc?locale.x=en_C2

I think also a lot of these requirements are not necessarily demands of PayPal but linked organisation like Visa, MasterCard, ApplePay, Google Pay and even governmental etc... 

The thing is though, PayPal  instantly knows from the email address during the PayPal Commerce sign up process that a business account exists. It even states that and gives my business details.  What is doesn't implicitly state though is what the 'partnership' with Cubecart (or other card vendor) is, what information is shared with that cart vendor and how that information is used.   They are asking sellers to agree to something, without giving them details beforehand.  I would politely suggest that is actually illegal.

When I go onto PayPal Developer platform, they are now talking about cart vendors being on different tiers, silver, gold etc and that being tied into sales volumes.  As many of those are open source and essentially free cart products, that raises concerns about where PayPal is actually accessing those significant figures from? 

We all have choices, but only offering one type of product solution, is akin to Henry Ford's 'any colour you want as long as it's black'. Take it or leave it.  I do appreciate all the work that goes into developing open source solutions though and Cubecart is a fine product that deserves better recognition.

As many of those are open source and essentially free cart products, that raises concerns about where PayPal is actually accessing those significant figures from?

Partners send a BN code across with every transaction. PayPal can see if a transaction is via CubeCart or other platform. Then the same data is sent across as PayPal Standard.

I don't agree with your analogy to Henry Ford at all personally. PayPal commerce can be configured to have 3D secure on and off. Cards on and off. Pay Later messaging or or off. Express Checkout on the product detail page on and off. Apple Pay on or off etc.. The platform is adaptable. 

PayPal Standard also sends across the platform ID too via BN code. Essentially the data shared is pretty much identical.

Another popular open source cart that brought v4 out recently had also taken  PayPal Std out (and a few other things), has found a considerable number of its members have now reverted back to using the earlier v3, which also has a separate branch on Github, where developers have now upgraded it so it will run on PHP 8.  Say what you will, but people like to have choices.

Interestingly enough, whilst using another cart solution last week and going out to PayPal using Std PayPal on PayPal live site, that also brought up the option to pay later?  That certainly not something that has ever shown up on there before. 😗

I will contact PayPal myself, to ask why they asking people to agree to an undisclosed partnership 'agreement' when signing up to PayPal Commerce (on any platform), as that just not right.  Absolutely no mention of rates, extra charges, changes to seller responsibilities or anything else.  Not good.!

• Like 1