Newsletter Email

Christopher Short

SMTP Error: The following recipients failed: ******: Outgoing mail from "*****" has been suspended.

The * had email addresses. The first part of teh list went and then this error. I am on a VPS and my host does not have any email restricitions for volume or number per hour on my account. Ideas?

That error response "reason" could be from the recipient's email provider.

Here is a link to an issue I found:

https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues/8737

Let us know if you are sending out emails using an external SMTP server (maybe GMail's?).

5 minutes ago, bsmither said:

That error response "reason" could be from the recipient's email provider.

Here is a link to an issue I found:

https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues/8737

Let us know if you are sending out emails using an external SMTP server (maybe GMail's?).

I resolved the suspended issue, it was due to the number of bounces. I have not resolved the RFC compliance issue. Email is through my VPS and my domain. 

Edited by Christopher Short

The original message was received at Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:32:08 -0800 from server.csrocketry.com [173.231.214.142]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <********@bellsouth.net>

(reason: 554 Message not accepted due to failed RFC compliance [015])

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to mx-sbc.mail.am0.yahoodns.net.:

>>> DATA

<<< 554 Message not accepted due to failed RFC compliance [015]

554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I do not know this for sure. If the destination has anything to do with Yahoo/AOL, then bulk sending might trigger a limit on that end.

Without more info, I have no other advice. Especially, I have no idea what "[015]" means. Could this be the page number of RFC-5322? If so, that is in the middle of a Date/Time format discussion.

(In a distant past life, I did send in bulk. I had to throttle AOL and a few other domains to a slow trickle.

I am confident that PHPMailer (a well-respected mailer) sends very accurate RFC compliant emails.

It could be that, because the recipient's service became "unavailable", that right there is what might be non-compliant.

17 hours ago, bsmither said:

I do not know this for sure. If the destination has anything to do with Yahoo/AOL, then bulk sending might trigger a limit on that end.

Without more info, I have no other advice. Especially, I have no idea what "[015]" means. Could this be the page number of RFC-5322? If so, that is in the middle of a Date/Time format discussion.

(In a distant past life, I did send in bulk. I had to throttle AOL and a few other domains to a slow trickle.

I am confident that PHPMailer (a well-respected mailer) sends very accurate RFC compliant emails.

It could be that, because the recipient's service became "unavailable", that right there is what might be non-compliant.

I emailed a couple people and they receive my email but not the newsletter. Everyone that has this is yahoo/aol/....that seem to use yahoo servers. I've had dang near 300 reject for this from legitimate customers. 

There is this:

https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/plugins/throttled-/-batch-sending-of-newsletters

However, I would petition HavenSwift to add a filter to segregate a list of domains. The segregated list would be the only addresses to be throttled, all others would bypass the throttle and be sent immediately. (This would not detract from the main intent of this plugin, which is to work with hosting provider's limits.)

I am curious to know-- What other indication was shown to you that the sending operation had failed.

I believe the red-colored message posted above was from the Error Log, System Error Log tab.

But what, if anything, prompted you to look there to learn if/why sending had a problem?

I understand you received emails of non-delivery reports (NDR).

But did CubeCart indicate something? Like, maybe the progress bar never reached 100%?