Upgrading to PHP5.3

Nikki72

I have a website running cubecart 3.0.20 and my host is upgrading the server to PHP5.3.

I hope to upgrade to cubecart 5 during our quiet period later in the year so the PHP upgrade is good news for that but will my existing website running cubecart 3.0.20 work with the latest version of PHP5.3? Is cubecart 3.0.20 compatible with PHP5.3?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, php update totally breaks v3. I had to switch my last 2 cubecart v3 stores last week when my webhosts upgraded php. Tons of errors mostly "Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /x/ini.inc.php on line 76" and coud no longer login to the back end at all.

Exactly right just turn off error reporting.

ini_set('error_reporting', false);

I think this is already in one of the v3 files to change from true to false or the string "1" in the crappy v3 code. The function is depreciated though meaning that at some point in the future it will be removed for good. This means this fix is not a long term fix.

Thanks everyone for your replies and those kind enough to drop me a private message :)

I would be happy to upgrade to V4 because it's easy enough to convert my current template but i see that is going to be discontinued soon too and it seems very unfair to charge customers £120 to upgrade to something that's no longer supported! I'm not keen on V5 to be honest, navigating the back end isn't as user friendly as V3 and V4 but the worst thing is that the template system is completely different, making trying to convert my template very difficult and after 5 years i really don't want to have my website look completely different :(

Thankfully my host is really understanding and has moved me to an older server temporarilly, giving me some time to try out some other shopping carts.

Whats so scary about the template system? No other cart uses xTemplate like v3 or v4 does that I know or so moving to another system won't make things any easier.

Its completely different Al. When i try to use the same html surrounding the tags (is that the right word?) from my v3 template to one of the v5 templates its all a mess :( Im not a web designer and had my v3 template custom made.