Product Images

Nikki72

Over the last few weeks since my new v5 site has gone online i've noticed my webhosting disk space rappidly running out.

I couldn't understand what was causing this and thinking i'd been hacked i've gone through every directory looking for things that shouldn't be there and found lots of extra images being generated within /images/cache/ which has so far generated 20 different versions of each single image i upload so while i have uploaded 554 product images CubeCart seems to have generated 11080 images!

Why is CubeCart doing this??

In my opinion, CubeCart will automatically create an appropriately sized image from the master image found in /images/source/. (Why not let the browser do the resizing? Because CubeCart looks for the specific name, imagename-size.jpg, for example, and if you wanted to, you could personally create an image of what you deemed appropriate and give it that name. I did this with thumbnails all the time in CC3.)

So, among all of CubeCart's skins, plus any third-party skins that follow this scheme, the size collection for each distinct image apparently grew from having your store (experimenting, perhaps?) try on several skins.

Thanks for replying guys. Clearing the image cache got rid of them all for now. I know that sounds like the most obvious thing to do but i thought the /cache/ directory in the root was the only place any caching went on and thought the one in the /images/ directory was just weirdly named lol.

I've actually been flitting between two versions of the same skin, trying to decide on which one to go for but i don't understand why it's neccessary for the system to create so many versions of an image instead of letting the code resize the image.

Only two versions of a skin? That shouldn't account for all twenty versions.

I don't understand why it's necessary for the system to create so many versions of an image instead of letting the code re-size the image.

Again, my opinion, you could personally create a distinct image of what you deemed appropriate for an image of that size and give it the appropriate name.

When i said it was two different versions of the same skin they are actually seperate skins, a two column version and a three column version of skin with the same name....Not like Kuroto with different stylesheets which may be why.

I have no problem creating my own thumbnails. I did this with my V3 and subsequent V4 store but they only needed two images, a main and a thumb but for some reason the developers chose to ignore simplicity and instead have the system generate umpteen different images. Ignoring simplicity seems to be the phrase of the day when it comes to V5 lol :wacko:

I understand that the cache has been cleaned. I would like to have known what all the variants of a given image were.

As i was originally thinking i had been hacked i took a backup and one example contains:

dowsing.30.jpg

dowsing.50.jpg

dowsing.116.jpg

dowsing.120.jpg

dowsing.138.jpg

dowsing.270.jpg

dowsing.580.jpg

dowsing.600.jpg