Customer Image Uploader.

Nik Grey

I still have not been able to open my Cubecart as my developer STILL has not completed my 'Lettering Tool' for people to enter text for their vinyl sign, font, color - size and add to cart.

I want him to make an 'Image Uploader' for me as I want to open a Personalised Gifts business (well, the business is running but still no website) - I need the customer to be able to upload an image and text they may want also on a Mug for example but there are no ready made modules (from what I can see) like there was in V4.. frustrating.

I am posting here hoping someone will have seen a Module ready to be purchased - I want to run this on my own server and have full control, I am aware there are hired versions but I want to pay Once and get on with is.

Everything else with CC is great, it's just this lack of tools thats holding me back.

How would you want that to work? Is it just going to be a straight image upload, or would you want the image/text to display on the mug/product in some kind of preview sense?

A straight image uploader in theory wouldn't be too hard, The easy way out would be to just upload and then store a link to the image in a hidden text option, which wouldn't be too hard, but you'd need a jquery uploader to be hooked onto that, might want to have a google for a few options and find one that looks best.

That's probably going to be the least intrusive version anyway, anything else would likely require modifications to the core files or setting up as a full plugin

I'm going to have to settle for something that just uploads an image and some text if I can get that, it needs to be linked to the cart though otherwise how can I link the image to the order ? I do have a preview for the Lettering Tool but dont have the module yet so I still have no idea how they have done it.

'Least Intrusive' and 'Core FIles' - one good and one bad. the last thing I want is to break either of these when upgrading CC, after all the whole point of these is to make life easier for me and the customer.

So, I need to look for a jquery uploader for CCv5 is that right ?

The first one I mentioned, would auto link up to the cart, you'd essentially set it up as a custom text option and just stick the url to the image in there. It's not the safest however, as allowing people to upload images and then potentially showing them a link to it is a bit risky. It's possible to inject all manner of stuff in an image potentially.

You'd want to at minimum obfuscate the location, so ideally it will upload the product into a hidden folder and just return the filename, and you can piece it together yourself on the admin end.

Making changes to core files is just another quick and easy method really, it depends on what your budget for the work would be. Doing it as a plugin would be the nicest option, they don't get broken by upgrades (generally) and won't affect your normal files at all. They do however usually cost a bit more, at least from us, as it takes us extra time to write them that way.

But yes, I'd have a look for a jquery file uploader, that preferably just uploads and sends the file off to some provided location via ajax. You'd then want a script like I mentioned before, which would upload it to a hidden location and return a filename

I have sent you a PM Toucan.

Another thing - I am at the end of my Rope now with this freelancer, I cant find a forum or such to get advice about this situation.

I wont go into detail on here but will be looking for someone else for my next job if I can find someone to do it within my budget. I do hope to open my shop whilst I am still young enough to handle the work.

With any customer controlled file upload utility you add to CubeCart (or any website) ensure it has the ability to specify that the uploaded files are stored in an area above the publicly accessible folder. So for example if you are on a cPanel based system and your website files are in /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html (where xxxxxxxx is your account name) then it MUST upload the files to a new directory such as /home/xxxxxxxx/uploads.

If it uploads the files to a directory such as /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/uploads then you will quickly end up with a hacked website !

Thanks

Ian

Sibespace, you will see here when I have cracked this (well, hopefully Jonathan will be cracking it).

Still there are problems with my lettering Tool - I saw the tool kind of working on my server yesterday, the problem was things werent being sent to the cart.

Now, since I reported this and gave access to everything I see my original developer has been changing the .htaccess file almost every few minutes for hours.. they must be having trouble - I just hope they are not wasting time :(