Preventing shipping to certain zones

richguy

Hello

We sell magazine subscriptions which have shipping included in the price. 

There are 3 zones with different prices - UK, Europe, Rest of the world. Is there any way of stopping a customer from selecting a UK subscription and then entering a delivery address in France and checking out? Obviously we wouldn’t fulfil this but it’s not great customer service even if it’s a genuine mistake on their part.

We currently have a tedious and complicated way round with this with weights on Virtuemart but I’m looking for something simpler.

Sorry if I’ve missed something obvious but I can’t find a way of relating products to zones.

Thanks

Welcome richguy! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

The All-in-One shipping module should allow you to create the three zones, then establish by what measure (or flat rate?) each zone gets for shipping charges.

One of the consternations about CubeCart at checkout is the display of estimated shipping charges and the (somewhat) smallish indicator that this is an estimate only until the customer gives their own destination address.

Blimey - you're quick. Thanks.

Yes, I have my 3 zones (which were v easy to create compared to other carts I've used in the past btw) - we also sell mail order products that are charged by weight and destination and that works fine.

So if you're buying a book and change the delivery address from UK to France, the shipping cost updates and the customer pays the right amount. Lovely. 

But with the subscriptions, the customer can select a UK product, enter a France delivery address and be charged £30 (UK price) instead of £40 (Europe price) and I can't find a way of preventing this.

You have as products:

Sub-UK: 30

Sub-EU: 40

Sub-Intl: 50

I would think that I would have to keep enabled only one product (such as Sub-UK) and change it's price to 25. Disable the Sub-EU and Sub-Intl products.

Then, with appropriate shipping charges configured....

Hm. Already set up by weight, you say.

I'm thinking By Category (because that's the only option that gets close to a "shipping on a specific product" relationship) but that only gives you two zones.

Interesting.

Glad it's not just me, and it's been an issue with whatever cart we've tried. 

I guess we have to rely on customers selecting the correct destination (even my Virtuemart cobble has a weakness when a customer orders a physical item with a sub as it throws out my tiny weight-driven messages). We don't need to fulfil any incorrect orders but of course we don't want to give them an opportunity to change their mind once they've given us money.

Yes, it would, but there would need to be an action that would auto-assign a customer who put a Subscription in their cart to a specific customer group, and de-assign them from that customer group when the Subscription is removed.

Once that takes place, then there is this:

http://www.cubecartforums.org/index.php?showtopic=18816