Auto upgrade settings

scythe000

Can anyone tell me what permissions need to be set for what folders so i can do the web-based upgrades? I have two stores on the same host. One works fine, the other fails every time and i have to do it manually. I figure maybe it's a folder permission issue, but i don't know what to look at.

HavenSwift Hosting should come along shortly and give us some good advice, but I would like to compare the two stores.

An upgrade will want to create a full backup - that's everything. But in CC608, you can elect to not include images and files that are referenced in the FileManager. So, between the two stores, does the one that is failing have a far larger quantity of images and files than the other?

Does the failing store have a PHP error_log? Maybe we can learn why the upgrade fails.

Can anyone tell me what permissions need to be set for what folders so i can do the web-based upgrades? I have two stores on the same host. One works fine, the other fails every time and i have to do it manually. I figure maybe it's a folder permission issue, but i don't know what to look at.

File permissions depend on what php handler your hosting company is using.  If they are sensible and are using suPHP or suEXEC with one of the other handlers then all directories should always be 755 and all files should be 644.  If they are are not running this and you have files owned by the user "nobody" then I suggest you move hosting companies as they dont care about your security but like many hosting companies, still care more about cramming as many sites onto each server as possible (suPHP and suExec are slower and use more server resources).

Although you might have two stores with the same host unless they are on the same server there is no guarantee the server is setup the same - as Brian said, we would need to know what issues you are facing and what if any errors you are seeing

Ian

It looks like some folder permissions are 705 and some are 777. All files are 604.

Any idea how to look for a PHP error_log?

Ah, one difference, I just realized, is that the failing store is in a subfolder, rather than root. IE, it's in /store/.

Edited by scythe000

1) What specific errors / problems are you having

2) Are both sites on the same server or a different one

3) What php handler is being run - this will determine what file permissions should be set

4) Your reported file permissions sound all over the place regardless of which php handler

5) If your host is not running suPHP or suExec on that server then seriously think about moving hosts as your security is immediately compromised

Ian

In admin, Maintenance, Upgrade tab, there will be a phrase "Upgrade to Latest Version". Just below that, copy exactly what you see and paste it in your reply.

Does the failing store have a PHP error_log? Maybe we can learn why the upgrade fails.

Please make a new file, named ini-custom.inc.php, and enter these contents:

<?php
# Custom initialization commands
# Filename: ini-custom.inc.php
# File location: main CubeCart folder

ini_set('memory_limit', '256M'); // Platypus Suhosin limit is 256M
ini_set('max_execution_time', '60');
ini_set('error_log', 'error_log');
ini_set('log_errors', 'on');

?>

Save the file in CubeCart's main folder.

Make CubeCart fail to upgrade. Then, look at the contents of a new file that will be created in CubeCart's main folder, error_log.