[Resolved] Switch to Bootstap on custom template

Hi, I am new to the forum and new to CC

I want to start creating my own template/skin but want to use bootstrap (the CSS framework I mean) over foundation as I have no experience with it and I've got an extremely tight dead-line*

Would it just be a case of creating a new directory in the skins folder and start re-building each page using an existing theme as a base?

*I've just switched from OpenCart so have a lot of the page content done so I can fit it into CC if I don't have a CSS framework to learn on top of all of this work.

Kind regards

James

Welcome zombiebytes! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

It would be the case of creating a new folder in /skins/.

There will be two things you will need from an existing skin: the names of all the templates CC uses, a copy of an existing skin's config.xml, , and a listing of all the Smarty template rendering engine {$placeholders} and {commands}.

Other than these items - which CubeCart requires and uses - you are free to design your skin/theme as you desire.

Please do not hesitate to ask any question you may have.

Thanks so much bsmither, appreciate the reply and this sounds great! :w00t:

Foundation was always one of them cool looking solutions but my career pushed me down the Bootstrap route so I'm more fluent with that, sounds like a good excuse to enter into the foundation school though when I get a chance to rebuild the theme after launch... not that there's anything wrong with Bootstrap of course, but, always good to have an alternative when taking over the world :):2guns:

It's way past my bed time (3:40am here in UK) but I can't switch off. :31:

Cheers

James

:rolleyes: I'm liking the emoticons

Welcome James!

I think how you go about it depends on experience and the way you like to work. I would probably have two installs of CubeCart side by side then in one of them slowly disassemble Foundation to use Bootstrap instead using the other to compare it against the original. Maybe start by removing skins/foundation/js/1.foundation.min.js replace it with bootstrap and then start updating the HTML.

I expect  find and replace could go along way here by replacing say large-4 with col-lg-4 as both Bootstrap and Foundation Framework work under similar principals. 

Bootstrap Grid: https://getbootstrap.com/examples/grid/
Foundation Grid: http://foundation.zurb.com/sites/docs/v/5.5.3/components/grid.html

If you rename the skin folder please be sure to update the config.xml file. More info here: https://support.cubecart.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/202/46/how-do-i-create-a-custom-skin-or-template

I hope that helps a bit. 

Thanks Al.

You're making it sound easier to learn Foundation which is probably the more sensible thing to do upon reflection (and a bit of sleep).

Your remark about Foundation being similar to Bootstrap has turned me :48:

At least I have my answers should it not work out and I need to switch back to Bootstrap...

Thanks for both responses! I appreciate it guys :D

++ How do I mark this thread as solved/resolved?

Edited by zombiesbyte
++ Question added