PayPal Commerce OK for older versions of Cubecart 6?

jasehead

After all these months I've finally reproduced it and solved it. It was the "Pay Now" button being tapped or clicked more than once. 

The new release 1.9.3 should fix this but only if the following criteria is met;

• The checkout form has the id checkout_form
  • The Pay Now button has the id checkout_proceed

How do I check these

The new release 1.9.3 should fix this but only if the following criteria is met;

• The checkout form has the id checkout_form
  • The Pay Now button has the id checkout_proceed

Just done a quick view page source on my checkout screens (whether as a guest, logged in or just using the Paypal button) on my site found these on all so is this ok:

method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" class="autosubmit" id="checkout_form"

button type="submit" name="proceed" id="checkout_proceed"

33 minutes ago, Debyink said:

How do I check these

Just done a quick view page source on my checkout screens (whether as a guest, logged in or just using the Paypal button) on my site found these on all so is this ok:

method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" class="autosubmit" id="checkout_form"

button type="submit" name="proceed" id="checkout_proceed"

You should be good based on that. It's quite easy to reproduce on an iPad.

Pay with the shortcut yellow button. If you hit the pay now button twice it then goes to a new payment screen instead of going to the processing page. This disables the button so it can only be clicked once.

I'm using Cburst. I thought that once they confirmed payment on Paypal they were returned to my store and a thank you for your order page was shown not another button to confirm payment (that used to be on Paypal Express).

The sign in was on apple iphone, using Safari

No there weren't 2 browser windows open, I tapped the button once and after being transferred to paypal entering my details and authorising payment, the message “returning you to the seller’s website to complete the purchase”. After returning to your website it's back to the basket page and no complete purchase button or confirmation that payment has already been made and so you go through the whole make payment routine again, then find I have placed and paid for two exact same orders.

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting back on my experiences after the Christmas rush.

I updated the PayPal Commerce plugin to 1.9.3 weeks ago and haven't noticed any duplicate orders. I'm using Cubecart 6.1.14 with a not-very-modified Foundation skin. UPDATE  - 3 hours later I'm having to deal with a duplicate order placed 5 seconds apart, so it's still happening.

The gateway information is still missing on half the orders (Admin > Orders > Overview - shipping section contains no gateway), so that hasn't been fixed. I use the gateway information as a custom column in the orders list to identify manual card payments. I also use it to calculate payment processing fees over the long term and determine which payment gateways are cost-effective. I guess I could just edit my admin skin for the orders and just force-replace the blank gateway, but that just hides a problem with the plugin that should be fixed.

I had a patient but very frustrated customer from Norfolk Island who could not get the PayPal Commerce or old PayPal Standard gateways to work — just "swirling in circles for 20 minutes" — multiple attempts over multiple days. I had to enable the manual Credit Card Capture gateway for her. Norfolk Island is an external territory of Australia and shares currency, postal service etc.

I still feel like I need other options and can not rely on PayPal Commerce for all transactions, so I'm not at a point yet where I can retire PayPal Standard and Credit Card Capture. I expect PayPal will unplug PayPal Standard at some stage.

Edited by jasehead

12 hours ago, jasehead said:

UPDATE  - 3 hours later I'm having to deal with a duplicate order placed 5 seconds apart, so it's still happening.

From the customer: "Yes this was a duplicate order and I only wanted to order 1 book. I ordered using Microsoft Edge and pressed pay twice in PayPal, first for the book and then for the postage."

Orders were 5 seconds apart. The first order had a blank gateway, second order said paypal_commerce. Charges in PayPal were both $2.16AUD.

Can a customer make duplicate payments while in PayPal and this ends up creating duplicate orders in CubeCart? Why would a customer think they had to pay separately for postage?

Edited by jasehead

I'll have another look at this in the new year. The new version disables the pay now button on click. It fixed the issue from my testing. Are there different steps to reproduce this? Pressing pay twice in PayPal makes no sense. Also there is no pay button in PayPal but only a continue button.

It's always going to be difficult to get accurate steps from a customer - they're never going to be fully aware of where they are or what they did. Perhaps there's some error log that can be generated (or temporarily add that ability) - also capture browser/platform details?

At least the clues for this one were:

• Microsoft Edge
  • Pressed pay twice within a few seconds because they thought they had to pay again for postage

So it has to be something that can confuse a customer in a matter of seconds so they click again.

Debyink mentioned iPad/Safari, so if it's the same issue maybe not browser-specific. My feeling is something causing customer confusion in the process.

If double-click is disabled in 1.9.3, then it must be a second attempt by the customer.

Edited by jasehead

• 1 month later...

Just had a customer pay for duplicate orders within 4 seconds, judging by the CubeCart order number. PayPal Commerce v 1.9.3 so this issue is not resolved. One order shows the paypal_commerce gateway and the other shows a blank gateway - so that's not fixed and might be connected (first order had the blank gateway).  The PayPal transaction history in CubeCart is the same except for the transaction ID.  In PayPal, the payments were processed 25 seconds apart.

(sigh) Another refund that costs me the non-refundable PayPal transaction fee.

Edited by jasehead

No help from the customer yet, but my web log shows:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/111.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

So I'm guessing that's Chrome 111.0 running on Mac OS. Possibly on an iPhone because the IP address showed a phone carrier, but these can provide service for home/desktop internet too.  

This issue is incredibly infuriating. I've spent hours trying to reproduce this on various devices coving as many scenarios as I can think of. It doesn't seem to affect that many merchants and those it does aren't able to reproduce it either.

If I can reproduce this I can fix it. I'm desperate to get to the bottom of it as you are.

Are there any errors in the request log with the order number in the body?

7 minutes ago, Debyink said:

Al, I'm still having this problem and still loosing money due to the no refundable fees.

I believe you but I need clues at minimum. Have any customers mentioned faults or unexpected behaviour?

We found a problem caused by hitting "Pay Now" more than once. This has been patched. It's incredibly disappointing to see issues persists especially without any information as to how. 

I can't see any errors in the request log.

Customer reported back:
"I can't remember exactly but it was something to do with paypal. I'm afraid I wasn't paying very close attention, so I may have accidentally triggered it to pay twice? I'm sorry if that isn't very helpful."

I don't think it's as simple as double-clicking a button. Again, I feel that something in the process is confusing the customer, so they go back and try again (within seconds) which duplicates the order and the payment, but with a different order number.

Can't there be a timer function built in to disallow a second order from the same customer within 30 seconds? Or that completely blocks a duplicate order from the same email address + product codes + delivery address?

My customers just say:

after filling in details in Paypal the are returned to our website to complete the purchase, after returning to our website it's back to the basket page and no complete purchase button or confirmation that payment has already been made, so they go through the whole process again.

Now they have 2 orders.

Had another earlier tonight

• 1 month later...

This is still happening, another 2 this evening and another £4 lost in Paypal fees.

1 customer using ipad and 1 using iphone.

Store is set to reduce stock on pending, 1st customer had bought the last of 2 products (out of 8), paid for the order and upon return was informed that "Items added to your basket are no longer available."  -  well yes because she had just bought and paid for them, so she went and paid for the order (less the 2 items) again.

• 2 weeks later...

@Debyink Are you using the most recent PayPal Commerce 1.9.5?

I was still using 1.9.3 up until just now, but I was still getting occasional duplicate orders/payments with that version - not sure if there has been additional work to stop that since 1.9.3, but I'll chime in if I notice anything.

Safari is the default browser on Apple products, and it's not like iPhone and iPad users are a small group that can be ignored.