PayPal Commerce OK for older versions of Cubecart 6?

jasehead

1.9.1 - Google Pay Support
1.9.2 - Disabled sandbox mode
1.9.3 - Fix for duplicate payments. 
1.9.4 - Google Pay & Apple Pay now in general availability (not just US)
1.9.5 - Setting to disable email in Sandbox mode

No I don't think so. We had a small number of merchants facing this issue. Since that patch only yourself and debyink are still reporting problems. I've cloned Debys store which I hope to test this afternoon. 

The patch relies on the skin accepting the new javascript to disable the pay now button on first click. I'll be looking at that first.

Posted (edited)

It's not just a button double-click though. Confusion leads the customer back to the store thinking there is something wrong so they purchase again - need to stop a second order from happening and make it more obvious to the customer that the first order was successful.

Edited by jasehead

What is the confusion? The PayPal button says "Continue" and not "Buy Now".

If the issue comes over confusion then is the confusion the above, something else and do you have any suggestions to improve it?

PayPal moved away from being the final part of the checkout process to a middle part. 

Please re-read posts from Dec 15 through to now. I found two comments from Debyink about the confusion process that customers reported. I also note that one of my customers used Microsoft Edge for a duplicate order - so not just a Safari issue.

Reading back it really sounds like the pay now button is being clicked twice still. 

On first click if it takes too long but the button doesn't get disabled and they click it again this will happen.

The five seconds apart orders confirms this in my mind. How long does a customer wait before clicking the button again if the server is too slow processing the payment. Five seconds should about the right amount of time to lose patience. 

I've got Debys site cloned but infuriatingly PayPal sandbox isn't working right now. Ill try again later.

On 12/15/2023 at 8:02 PM, Debyink said:

No there weren't 2 browser windows open, I tapped the button once and after being transferred to paypal entering my details and authorising payment, the message “returning you to the seller’s website to complete the purchase”. After returning to your website it's back to the basket page and no complete purchase button or confirmation that payment has already been made and so you go through the whole make payment routine again, then find I have placed and paid for two exact same orders.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:20 AM, jasehead said:

From the customer: "Yes this was a duplicate order and I only wanted to order 1 book. I ordered using Microsoft Edge and pressed pay twice in PayPal, first for the book and then for the postage."

Orders were 5 seconds apart. The first order had a blank gateway, second order said paypal_commerce. Charges in PayPal were both $2.16AUD.

Can a customer make duplicate payments while in PayPal and this ends up creating duplicate orders in CubeCart? Why would a customer think they had to pay separately for postage?

On 2/15/2024 at 11:32 PM, jasehead said:
Customer reported back:
"I can't remember exactly but it was something to do with paypal. I'm afraid I wasn't paying very close attention, so I may have accidentally triggered it to pay twice? I'm sorry if that isn't very helpful."

I don't think it's as simple as double-clicking a button. Again, I feel that something in the process is confusing the customer, so they go back and try again (within seconds) which duplicates the order and the payment, but with a different order number.

On 2/19/2024 at 11:26 AM, Debyink said:

My customers just say:

after filling in details in Paypal the are returned to our website to complete the purchase, after returning to our website it's back to the basket page and no complete purchase button or confirmation that payment has already been made, so they go through the whole process again.

Now they have 2 orders.

I wonder if it's something silly.

In the file modules/plugins/paypal_commerce/hooks/class.cubecart.display_basket.alternate.php find:

$("#checkout_proceed").attr("disabled", true);

I think better code that may be more reliable across browsers would be:

$("#checkout_proceed").prop("disabled", true);

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 12:04 PM, Debyink said:

Store is set to reduce stock on pending, 1st customer had bought the last of 2 products (out of 8), paid for the order and upon return was informed that "Items added to your basket are no longer available."  -  well yes because she had just bought and paid for them, so she went and paid for the order (less the 2 items) again.

I'll note here that my store is set to reduce stock on processing, but I've had customers with this same problem even before PayPal Commerce.

Edited by jasehead
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/15/2024 at 11:32 PM, jasehead said:
Can't there be a timer function built in to disallow a second order from the same customer within 30 seconds? Or that completely blocks a duplicate order from the same email address + product codes + delivery address?

Or at least an alert to warn against duplicating order/payment. 

Edited by jasehead

Just now, jasehead said:

Or that completely blocks a duplicate order from the same email address + product codes + delivery add

Sounds like a possible work around but not actually a fix. Probably not a bad feature to have anyway.

I just cannot get PayPal sandbox to play ball today. Infuriating on an already horribly complex situation. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Al Brookbanks said:

Stock handling could indeed come into this. If you have stock to reduce on processing this shouldn't cause a stock level problem. 

No, but only if you have one item. They can purchase again if stock is available. Or they may duplicate the order with missing items and not understand why items are now missing. If they are confused and can proceed with a duplicate order, some customers will click through again.

Any workaround would be considered a win if it stops duplicate orders through PayPal and refund losses from PayPal charges.

Edited by jasehead

@jasehead I totally agree about a work around being a win but I don't think we need to.

@Debyink I've solved this on your store.

The JavaScript to disable the pay now button wasn't working due to the order of certain elements in your skin.

I will release a new version of the PayPal commerce extension that fixes this by delaying the PayPal JS code. 

36 minutes ago, jasehead said:

No, but only if you have one item. They can purchase again if stock is available. Or they may duplicate the order with missing items and not understand why items are now missing. If they are confused and can proceed with a duplicate order, some customers will click through again.

Any workaround would be considered a win if it stops duplicate orders through PayPal and refund losses from PayPal charges.

The disable button on your store seemed to be working already so I wonder if the issue is different on your store. 

It would be worth fixing the JS error on your checkout however. See attached. 

image.png

Posted (edited)

Yeah, but this is incidental - just an address finder and shouldn't cause any issues. I'll check for updated code, but low priority.

I still had duplicate orders with PP Commerce 1.9.3 after the button fix was implemented, but am on 1.9.5 now.

Haven't had any duplicates recently only because turnover has dropped in the slow season. I'd expect more from mid-May when things pick up again. Hopefully, there's a fix by then.

Edited by jasehead

I'll keep my eyes on the orders and hopefully (fingers crossed) it's sorted.

As jasehead said though, it wasn't double clicking, customers all said after making payment they were returned to my store but there was no confirmation that payment had been made, no complete purchase button, just back to the basket page so they went through the whole purchase process again.

2 hours ago, Debyink said:

I'll keep my eyes on the orders and hopefully (fingers crossed) it's sorted.

As jasehead said though, it wasn't double clicking, customers all said after making payment they were returned to my store but there was no confirmation that payment had been made, no complete purchase button, just back to the basket page so they went through the whole purchase process again.

I haven't been able to reproduce that. It sounds more like a session problem.