Update / new install produces Internal Server Error

I'm trying to do a "clean" install of 6.5.1, only retaining images and some skin files. I've uploaded all the files and try to run /setup/ and get 

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at [email protected] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at www.olivewoodturning.co.uk Port 80

The last entries in the server log file are

[Mon Aug 07 21:29:21 2023] [error] [client 92.0.117.204:0] free(): double free detected in tcache 2 
[Mon Aug 07 21:29:21 2023] [error] [client 92.0.117.204:0] End of script output before headers: index.php 
[Mon Aug 07 21:29:34 2023] [error] [client 114.119.155.232:0] free(): double free detected in tcache 2 
[Mon Aug 07 21:29:34 2023] [error] [client 114.119.155.232:0] End of script output before headers: index.php 

Any thoughts as to what's going on? I'm still trying to debug this myself. Server is running php 8.1, if this has any bearing?
Edited by Nelly111s
tags added

PHP 8.1 is a good version to run CC651, so I would have to think the problem lies elsewhere.

My search on the Internet for these errors all mention the programming language C++.

There could be a separate error log file belonging to PHP.

If there might be a separate error log file that PHP will write to, see the following conversation that could help get access to that error reporting:

https://forums.cubecart.com/topic/51550-how-to-create-the-error-log/

If that gives no additional info, I encourage you to contact your hosting provider.

32 minutes ago, bsmither said:

I have never seen this before.

Please let us know what version of PHP is being used.

Brian,

It's php 8.1 that's being used.

14 minutes ago, bsmither said:

PHP 8.1 is a good version to run CC651, so I would have to think the problem lies elsewhere.

My search on the Internet for these errors all mention the programming language C++.

There could be a separate error log file belonging to PHP.

If there might be a separate error log file that PHP will write to, see the following conversation that could help get access to that error reporting:

https://forums.cubecart.com/topic/51550-how-to-create-the-error-log/

If that gives no additional info, I encourage you to contact your hosting provider.

I'd already created the error log file. These are errors from earlier this evening

[07-Aug-2023 19:18:32 Europe/London] PHP Warning:  Illegal string offset 'inStock' in /home/sites/olivewoodturning.co.uk/public_html/classes/catalogue.class.php on line 1782
[07-Aug-2023 19:45:29 Europe/London] PHP Warning:  Illegal string offset 'inStock' in /home/sites/olivewoodturning.co.uk/public_html/classes/catalogue.class.php on line 1782
[07-Aug-2023 19:56:12 Europe/London] PHP Warning:  Illegal string offset 'inStock' in /home/sites/olivewoodturning.co.uk/public_html/classes/catalogue.class.php on line 1782
[07-Aug-2023 19:57:42 Europe/London] PHP Warning:  Illegal string offset 'inStock' in /home/sites/olivewoodturning.co.uk/public_html/classes/catalogue.class.php on line 1782

45 minutes ago, bsmither said:

Would these errors be from an earlier version? Line 1782 is a comment line in catalogue.class.php, version 6.5.1.

Yes, I'd rolled back to 6.4.9 after some issues with 6.5.1 very soon after it came out. 

But I'm trying to (now) do a clean install with 6.5.1 and php 8.1, which is where the error comes in!

Edited by Nelly111s
added more detail

So those errors were generated from CC649.

Is there an "error_log" file where CC651 is being installed?

Also, those "Illegal String Offset" errors imply that there is being a search made against store inventory where the data passed in to that search function is a plain word, as opposed to an array having a word or words. A bug report has been made.

Edited by bsmither

I've tried

• Deleting all files from website, clean install of 6.4.10 via FTP, with php 8.1
  • Deleting all files from website, clean install of 6.4.10 via unzipping file on server, with php 8.1
  • Rolling server back to php 7.4, clean install of 6.4.10 via FTP

All of the give the 500 error. It's nothing database related (I don't think) since the setup script hasn't run and populated the config file with the dB details.

I've been in touch with the web host, but no joy yet. 

Create a file named info.php. The contents of that file are:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Have your browser ask for this file specifically:

http://www.olivewoodturning.co.uk/info.php

(This file already exists at /setup/info.php.)

If you still get a 500 error, the problem is not with CubeCart.

OK, so I've been in touch with the web hosting company.. There was some permissions errors initially, then a line in the htaccess file forcing it to use php 7.3 (must have been a file that I'd not updated. 

# AddHandler application/x-httpd-php73 .php .php5 .php4 .php3

This was the line, now commented out. So the info.php is now showing php 8.1.21. The site works again. But ...

The database is a bit strange now (it's not been changed). It's still got my customer list, sales stats etc, but the categories and products have been updated / overwritten with a test product and category. I do have a backup, but that's bit of a PITA.

Starting the CubeCart "Setup" process (which really only means to create or update the database), there is a "Drop Table" checkbox, and the colorful full-width clickable panels that show a first-time installation, or an update.

It seems you did not have the Drop Tables checkbox checked - otherwise all tables would be empty.

But then, you probably selected Full Install - maybe the only choice. The Full Install will "truncate" (remove all rows) the CubeCart_category, CubeCart_inventory, and CubeCart_category_index database tables, and load them with initial sample data.

No other action is taken against the other existing database tables - if they exist.

The Setup process checks for the existence of the /includes/global.inc.php file, and only if present (that file won't be present on an FTP upload or unzipped archive onto a fresh, cleaned folder of all other CubeCart code), and only if having key data points in it, will Setup offer an Upgrade choice.

So, from the database backup, the only tables you need to restore are those three that were truncated.

Thanks. I missed off the CubeCart_category_index update, so I had to manually update each product to put it in the right category, but since I don't have 1000's of products, that wasn't an issue. It's now up and running OK. I'm really not sure of the sequence  of events that caused everything to get screwed up, but it's all back working again now.

• 7 months later...

I remember once setting up a new system for my own project, and I hit a similar roadblock. After some digging, I realized it was due to compatibility issues between different file versions. It took a bit of trial and error, but eventually, I managed to sort it out.
In your case, considering the error log mentions double freeing in the cache, it might be worth checking if there's any conflict with the cache settings. Sometimes, a simple tweak there can make all the difference.

On 3/13/2024 at 2:19 PM, ZainCross said:

I remember once setting up a new system for my own project, and I hit a similar roadblock. After some digging, I realized it was due to compatibility issues between different file versions. It took a bit of trial and error, but eventually, I managed to sort it out.
In your case, considering the error log mentions double freeing in the cache, it might be worth checking if there's any conflict with the cache settings. Sometimes, a simple tweak there can make all the difference.

Also, if you're considering upgrading your server for better performance down the line, I've heard good things about high performance servers. They can really give your website a boost, especially when dealing with resource-heavy tasks like this.