Whats the best Payment gate way to use?

harrisorganic

Today I discovered that a customer who purchased $1000 worth of goods ( 6 weeks ago) has claimed a chargeback from his bank.  I had the Square extension in use as it saves me fees over PayPal. Chargebacks can happen at anytime. This is my first one.

Square has informed me that the Credit Card holder does not remember the transaction. 

Square says: We’ve sent your information to the cardholder’s bank. The bank is now reviewing the evidence before making a final decision. While we can no longer add new evidence or speed up the bank’s review process, we’ll provide you with updates as soon as we receive them.

That may take 90 days.

Meanwhile, my account is on hold and I have swapped to STRIPE for credit card transactions.

For the uninitiated, I was under the belief that Square and Stripe took responsibility for the security of transactions. Oh NO they don't.  The onus is on you.

is it the same for PayPal?

I found this video informative:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrKFKicBk9Q

Duncan

Did this transaction pass 3D secure? If so I believe it should be protected and you shouldn't be liable to chargeback fees. 

Our PayPal integration has much more granular settings. If you want to you can choose to only accept payments that pass 3D secure. With that setting enabled you are never liable to chargeback fees. The square extension could have this feature added.

• Like 1

"If you want to you can choose to only accept payments that pass 3D secure." Thats a good idea. 

Small business owners don't need the hassle of chargebacks, especially when it can be large amounts of $.

I found the checkbox for 3D secure in the Square application.

Thanks Al.

39 minutes ago, harrisorganic said:

"If you want to you can choose to only accept payments that pass 3D secure." Thats a good idea. 

Small business owners don't need the hassle of chargebacks, especially when it can be large amounts of $.

I found the checkbox for 3D secure in the Square application.

Thanks Al.

Tell me about it. CubeCart has had it's fair share of chargebacks too. :) 

I hope you don't get more. 

On 11/27/2023 at 2:41 AM, Al Brookbanks said:

Our PayPal integration has much more granular settings. If you want to you can choose to only accept payments that pass 3D secure. With that setting enabled you are never liable to chargeback fees. 

If only that was true. Customer pays,3D passes, shipment gets lost, files dispute, I get charged and a chargeback. I provided tracking with proof of delivery and still lost. Paypal protects the buyer, and screws the seller.