HUGE USPS choice names and price changes as of 1/27/13 CC Ready?

Dirty Butter

The whole point of a shipping module is to "on-demand" request shipping cost quotes. So if the USPS changes rates, that's what the module will receive when it asks for a quote.

Are they going to rename "First Class" and "Parcel Post" to something else? Maybe the language array might be the place to update.

They are renaming domestic and international package services AND international shipments will be priced by country groups. On looking at the list of groups, it seems to be a combination of proximity to the USA AND the "reliability and stability" of the country/region being shipped to.

It took some searching to find the list:

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_003.htm

A clip from Endicia's email to Dazzle users, but there are lots of other changes.

• Parcel Post is now Standard Post and only available at Retail locations
    • Parcel Select is a comparable mail class for Endicia customers
  • First-Class Mail International Parcel is now First-Class Package International Service

• 3 weeks later...

What an absolute nightmare, never seen anything like the changes just enacted Sunday night. They are going to be devastating to our store, let alone a lot of other small businesses, ebay sellers, etc.

Luck would have it, we received our first stock shipment the day before on the 26th, did our QC checks, etc and was ready to ship on the 28th. We use Paypal/USPS exclusively for all US and global orders, and since it is one book for now, everyone pre-ordered at Media Mail for US, and First Class Int. for overseas. 

Long story short, there is no way either via Paypal, USPS or any other third party outfit like Stamps.com to print a First Class Int. label. It does not exist. The only option is walking packages into PO and having the clerk label them. Makes zero sense. And we have hundreds of back orders we were ready to ship.

We have orders paid under the old structure from the 25th on back, and now those same services are 50% more, and we can't get a lable generated to ship under any scenario. We are going to bump the service, force them into a Priority Mail Int. Flat Rate Envelope (they just fit in), and eat the $8-10 difference on a few hundred orders. My ass hurts.

It's a joke. A very very sick joke. The USPS will do some serious damage to a lot of small business parcel shipments under 2 lbs overseas. Domestic prices are tolerable, but International is beyond absurd for anything over 1lb.

Sad irony, we have no recourse, we're still too small on volume to trigger UPS, FedEx, etc. discount rates that are below USPS shipping rates yet.

I spent an hour with a senior Paypal CSR, and you should hear what they are saying. This is exclusively services pulled by USPS from all linked systems, leaving basically a forced Priority/Express Mail system in place, dumping all cheaper services. Paypal had no warnign that First Class Int. would be completely removed from their system, and they said they had to fight to keep Media Mail listed for US orders, and will get Parcel Packages back in about 30 days under a new price rate structure (ie. a lot more expensive).

But none of my customers will pay Priority rate for a $30 book shipped overseas (which is 60% of our business) at around $32-45 depending on location via Priority Mail for 1lb 8oz book, and I can't print a First Class Package Int. label on the back end to offer the cheaper service, even though it went up $5-6 across the globe.

We are f'd... pardon my French. We are looking at a loss of profits approaching 25%, not including outright lost sales from customers balking at the new shipping prices.

Best,

Mike

Endicia's Dazzle software does. It's called First Class Package International Service, but their software allows for 1oz packages. That's what I use and I've mailed one to France since the change for less than a pound.

They have Media Mail as well - so does usps.com. I don't use it, so I'm confused if the problem is your postage or something about PayPal.

I use PayPal as my only gateway, too.

Thank you Dirty Butter.... what a lifesaver, I was up and working in under 5 minutes. Brilliant little setup, Commercial rates and prints ALL USPS labels.

The labeling issue was related to not being able to choose First Class Package International to print them out.

While we could still print Media Mail, that service was increased substantially as well, and we are paying the differences on both classes in relation to those previous back orders in our system. However, now we can print First Class Int. labels again via Endicia, this keeps us from having to use the much higher Priority Rates for pre-orders already paid for under the old rate system.

We are still going to pay the differences on our back orders, just nowhere near as much now, and can continue on as before under an adjusted price system and use the First Class Package Int. services again.

To all others - I strong recommend DYMO Endicia shipping software as well. We are back in the hunt now.

Can't thank you enough...

Best,

Mike