Background Image Issue !

Nik Grey

I have been waiting so long for someone to make a custom skin for me, and the Shopdev trial I tested doesn't work at all so I am seeing what I can do myself.

I copied a default skin, renamed it and activated it in admin - its working BUT..

..and I know some will read this and think 'How come you don't know this?' but I changed the default background image to just 'White' - its the same size as the original image 1653x1304 but when I scroll down the page now I see the original (well, bottom half of it) image appear again, like this:

background-image-problem.png

So, how can I stop this and ensure its continuous in colour?

I don't understand why this original image colour is still showing at all !

I realise this is a trivial issue but I am stuck :(

We might try using a background-color and dispense with the 1653x1304 image.

If the image is truly a background image, the CSS property allows for repeat-x and repeat-y:

body {
  background-image: url('paper.gif');
  background-repeat: repeat | repeat-x | repeat-y | no-repeat;
/* choose one */
}

Ah, fantastic.

So I changed the background colour (that explains why the extra colour was there, it was not an image) to white.

And the 'paper.gif' is like a marker to let me know where to put the path to an image should I wish to use one in the future.

If I have understood that correctly I am happy :)

Another thing I want to do is get the navigation/menu along the top rather than on the left - I want to get rid of the left section all together and just have all of the boxes on the right.

I see from this: HERE I can move the boxes but not the navigation/menu !

Is that kind of job a big one ? after all thats happened I was hoping to modify a stock skin to suit my needs rather than messing with things even further.

I was quite excited to see the 'Fusion' configuration system, it looks like I will be able to do everything I need with that but as I said that's not an option at the moment as it's not working and I get no response from their ticket system.

Homar got back to me at the 11th hour, the problem is white pages when I activate his skin - but we just found that every other skin apart from the Mican I was using (and my own modified Mican version) has the same problem - white pages  !

I may have to install everything again which is a nightmare for me, I'm happy to see I should be able to put my 'Categories' anywhere - I will look into that tomorrow.

Today is my Hospital Radio day so cant do a lot, I need to be there very early today as I have a couple of guests coming on for an interview so it's a busy One :)

Homar is requesting Error Logs but due to the nature of the Clustered Server system that Servage uses I dont think I can provide any but have asked again.

IS there a script I can run which will make error logs ?

Whatever you end up with, Nik, you need to create a new name for your version of your skin - otherwise the next upgrade will overwrite all your edits. There's some place you have to designate the name of that modified skin name, but it's been too long for me to remember where that section is. I'm sure Bsmither or others will be able to tell you exactly what to do about that.

I did create a version and renamed it - it's not getting lost as I updated this evening and its still there.

I'm really impressed with this Vector skin but I fear I might not be able to use it as its doing nasty things to my lettering tool :(

http://www.greyprint.co.uk/index.php?_a=letter

This is my main worry really with 3rd party solutions as I fear that I wont be able to get the support I will need when things dont go quite to plan.

ShopDev should be able to help you with that. You DO have control of the column widths, as long as they add up to 12 across. Those changes are done from the files, not the Fusion control panel. It might be something that simple. OR it could be Turbo doing it. Do you have any minifying settings in use???? Also, there may be a different javascript version being used by Vector than your Tool requires.

Turbo was part of my Blueprint price. Go to your account page and see if you can download it from there. It's a compression plugin, so it might mess up your Tool - so if you don't have it you may not want it anyway. I'm still guessing it's a column issue. Maybe I'm hoping, because columns are easy to manipulate.