problems with canadapost plugin

tinabanana

I installed the canadapost plugin, requested and entered my Merchant ID, put box dimension and weight, but I can't get it to do anything, all i get is the follow error

The following errors were detected:

• Unfortunately there are no suitable shipping methods available for your order. This may be because the total weight of your order is too high or we cannot ship to your country. Please contact a member of our staff for any further inquiries.

I tried the 'all in one shipping' just to make sure I wasnt something something wrong, but that worked just fine. I disable it before enabling the canadapost one.

Can anyone help? it seems like it should work out of the box.

Welcome tinabanana! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

I had an interesting conversation with a store owner who wanted to use Canada Post.

I had questions whether CP wanted it's data in Canadian Dollars, kilograms, and centimeters, or could it accept other dimensions depending how the CP account was setup.

What are your thoughts about the kind of data your store is giving CP?

thanks for the tip on the request log. very helpful! looks like the problem is with cURL, so i'll look into that

cURL Error (28): Connection timed out after 15005 milliseconds

As far as info required, I thought the information requested was very vague, I actually could not tell if it was inch/cm kg/lbs. So I just put random numbers in for now to get it working, once i get it working, i would play with the settings to see what is required.

The cURL would not give an error if it was not installed/enabled.

But "Connection Timeout" is noteworthy. The module is asking Request() to contact sellonline.canadapost.ca, port 30000.

When you obtained your CP Merchant ID, in the email, did it give the URL that the store should be making contact with?

So, after finally finding the correct documentation (which makes the values used by CubeCart to be the correct ones), even CP's online tester is failing.

http://sellonline.canadapost.ca/DevelopersResources/protocolV3/HTTPInterface.html

So, maybe an email to the support people at CP may provide an answer as to what to do about using SellOnline.

There was no url provided in the email, here is the email....

I updated my profile as they mentioned.

Thank you for your reply. I have created your Retailer ID.

You will need to update your shipping profile on the server by using the following address:

Retailer ID :? CPC_*****
Password :   *****

For help filling the profile read the Implementation guide

You also have to download the Sell Online architecture document from the Sell Online website:

The developer’s resources can be found at the following address:

This should be sufficient for you to test your shipping module.
If you need further information don't hesitate to contact me or contact Canada Post partners

IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU SET UP DEFAULT SHIPPING RATES IN THE EVENT
OF SERVER PERFORMANCE ISSUES. PLEASE SEE PAGE 11 OF THE IMPLEMENTATION GUIDE OR
PAGE 10 OF THE ARCHITECTURE DOCUMENT FOR DETAILS

Note: For any future assistance by e-mail with Sell Online please always include your CPC Retailer ID and 7
digit Canada Post account number.

I sent them an email but i don't expect much back from them

Login to the Merchant Account's Control Panel? That should work for normal "port 80" communications.

Here is something from the CP FAQ (as reported in the CubeCart development center and paraphrased)

Will Sell Online work if there is a firewall between Sell Online’s server and I ?
Yes. You have to inform your hosting provider system administrator that you need to perform TCP (not UDP) socket communication between your computer (your CubeCart site) and the Sell Online server (IP adress=sellonline.canadapost.ca Port:30000). The server admin will need to reconfigure your server’s firewall to allow this port.

Please have a conversation with your hosting provider to determine if outgoing communications from your site through port 30000 is being blocked.

When you contacted CP, hopefully you mentioned my comment above regarding CP's own online tester not working:

http://sellonline.canadapost.ca/DevelopersResources/protocolV3/HTTPInterface.html

canadapost said that if i could login using my merchant id that it was active and working fine.

This does not any sense at all and am amazed that whoever you spoke to gave you that answer ! As Brian has pointed out, the login to your merchant area and the ability to use their system via an E-Commerce system are two completely different things

not much else i can do with this, guess i'll be looking for a different cart with a canadapost plugin that works for me

Every other cart would have the same issues that you are having

You have to inform your hosting provider system administrator that you need to perform TCP (not UDP) socket communication between your computer (your CubeCart site) and the Sell Online server (IP adress=sellonline.canadapost.ca Port:30000). The server admin will need to reconfigure your server’s firewall to allow this port.

Port 30000 would be closed by default on most / all servers so unless you have followed this step, you will not be able to make a connection.

When you contacted CP, hopefully you mentioned my comment above regarding CP's own online tester not working:

Looks like you may have had two different problems although they seem to have fixed this one one and this is working fine

Ian

• 9 months later...

I'm setting up a new web site with v6.0.1 and I'm getting the same error message with the CanadaPost pluggin:

The following errors were detected:  Unfortunately there are no suitable shipping methods available for your order. This may be because the total weight of your order is too high or we cannot ship to your country. Please contact a member of our staff for any further inquiries.

I'm running cubecart 5.1.4 on another web site and I copied over the exact plugin settings.  The error occurs always shows up even before and after the customer puts in an address.  I called GoDaddy to open up port 30000 but they won't because it's a shared hosting.

Anyone have an idea what's going on here?

It's an unfortunate fact of life -- bottom of the budget barrel hosting plans are incredibly restrictive.

You may get better cooperation with a more pricey hosting plan - a virtual private server.

The module with your CC514 installation may be hosted on a different, more lenient hosting provider, or a different hosting plan.

An Internet search reveals thousands of poor souls using a wide variety of web applications being hosted on bottom of the budget barrel hosting plans who want to use CanadaPost but can't because of a shuttered outbound port 30000.

Any CubeCart user (in fact any E-Commerce software) that wants / needs port 30000 open in order to be able to use Canada Post, give us a shout.  We have always guaranteed to be 100% CubeCart compatible and this port is already open on some of our shared hosting servers where it is required

Ian