Web Site needs to Fill the width of every screen

The simple answer is that you cant or not without a lot of work as Crosshatch is a V5 non-responsive skin.  If you are using V6 then Foundation or any skin based on it such as the three we sell (see https://www.cubecart-demo.co.uk) or that other developers sell should all be fully responsive and do what you want

Ian

There is the displayability of a web page to be "responsive". There is also a displayability of a web page to be "fluid".

Crosshatch is neither. But it is easily edited to be "fluid".

CubeCart 5/6 will determine, from the skin's config file, if the skin is "responsive", and if so, will assume the skin will do it's thing properly on a mobile device. If the config file does not say it is "responsive", CC5/6 will then determine if there is a separate, installed, and enabled mobile-specific skin (see the "Mobile" skin in the Marketplace). If so, CC5/6 will then ask if the browser's "User Agent" identifier matches those of known mobile devices. If all that goes true, then CC5/6 will auto-switch to using the mobile-specific skin.

The "Mobile" skin from the Marketplace has it's own color scheme, which, with a bit of effort, can be restyled to match the color scheme of the full-size skin.

Just to be clear, the "Crosshatch" and the "Mobile" skins are separate skins. There may be other third-party mobile-specific skins available.

To edit the Crosshatch skin to be "fluid", we just need to find all the width: number_of_pixels; in the CSS and make them 100%.

Fluid is very different to responsive though and it will fail the Google Mobile Friendly test so while it may look at bit better on different sized large screens, it doesnt solve the underlying issue that it isnt responsive.  You can enable and use the mobile screen which as Brian says can be styled to look like your skin if you really want to do that

Yes you're right the web site fails the Google Mobile Friendly Test.  It's very frustrating that skins are still available which aren't responsive, especially when Google expect all web sites to now be responsive.  I originally did this client's site in Foundation Skin but no zoom over product pictures, (didn't find this out until I'd done it) so added Crosshatch skin as it had the zoom over product pictures and altered everything to suit the client's design ideas.  But all I've done is now got a non responsive web site.  So do I change the skin once again to one that is responsive and has the zoom on products or do I try and make a mobile version of this web site?

Personally I think that the old V5 skins should be marked as only compatible with V5 and not with V6 because as well as not being responsive, new features are slowly being added to V6 which are not being added into any of these skins (Foundation is the only skin maintained by CubeCart that will be kept up to date).  My advice would be to always start with Foundation or a Foundation based skin from a third party developer but choose one that is active here and that offers to maintain and update the skin in line with new CubeCart releases (some do and some dont appear to or at least dont advertise).  Some may well have product zoom functionality but even if they dont it is a relatively minor thing to add anyway and we will be adding it very soon to future releases of all of our skins

Ian

Thank you Ian, I've done two other web sites using the V6 Foundation and they've been well received by those clients.  This web site started out as Foundation but the client insisted about the Product Zoom feature, hence the change.  Foundation Skin I really like and it's nice to custom.  Like you I really don't think skins should be compatible with V6 if they are not responsive as this is how I made my mistaking thinking that because it was compatible with V6 then it must be responsive.

Not being responsive doesn't strictly make them not compatible with V6 - not being updated and maintained in line with changes to V6 does but I can see how it is easy to get confused hence my statement that I dont think they should be shown as V6 skins.  Adding product image zoom would be much easier than making an old skin responsive and this is pretty much a 100% requirement these days - not being listed in Google's mobile index if your site isnt mobile friendly instantly excludes you from 60% of potential customers and even if people do find the site on a mobile then not being responsive makes it very difficult to use on smaller devices.

Ian

Personally, I have no problem with a skin being CC6-compatible, but I do agree that maybe a new term be used. A skin is designed to not only look (layout and color scheme) a certain way, but to also have what is wanted to display.

So, if a skin:
* is coded to use Smarty
* has essentially the same core template file names
then I'm satisfied it is "CC6-ready".

It is not CC6's core job to make sure the skin satisfies any third-party's requirements for search-engine rankings. I think that's the skin designer's job. (Despite the fact Foundation ships with CC6, Foundation is not an integral part of CC6.)

On the other hand, managing the seo-friendly URLs and canonical statements has been incorporated into the core code. But we know that CC3/4 accepted a plugin (or code edits) to do that job because it was easiest to solve that in the core code rather than the skin templates.

Therefore, Crosshatch is CC6-ready, but not CC6-compatible if by 'compatible', the skin must at least show all the data CubeCart has prepared for it. By that definition, once CC6 makes available new data (such as absolute prices for product options), if the skin cannot yet show that, then it's no longer CC6-compatible.