Newsletter not sending

Whelping Supplies

What email settings do you have in the Store Settings (SMTP is far, far better than using php mail() ) and have you tested these using the test button provided - if this fails, that is the reason they aren't sending.

If they are OK, then you should check for errors within the newsletter and template and check the error_log file and CubeCart errors for any possible problems.  Then also check with your hosting company for any issues

Ian

In Cpanel, use phpMyAdmin to look at the database table CubeCart_newsletter_subscriber. Other than something in the 'email' column, make sure there is a '1' in the 'status' column.

CubeCart sends newsletters to those who have subscribed to the newsletter -- not to the general customer base.

In Cpanel, use phpMyAdmin to look at the database table CubeCart_newsletter_subscriber. Other than something in the 'email' column, make sure there is a '1' in the 'status' column.

CubeCart sends newsletters to those who have subscribed to the newsletter -- not to the general customer base.

Yes, that is true although if newsletters were being sent before (as stated) and now arent then it is very unlikely to be caused by this and while it is true that there is a distinction between between customers and newsletter subscribers, it is very unlikely that no customers are subscribed to the mailing list.  A much simpler way of checking if there are any mailing list subscribers is to simply go into the Admin | Mailing List option - if there are no email addresses listed, then no newsletters will be sent.  If this is the case and you were able to send newsletters previously in V4 then something went wrong during the upgrade process.

Ian

There are about 2200 people subscribed to the newsletter (or 111pages of email addresses). I contacted the host and the response was: 

"Are you still using the Havenswift email module to send out the emails? I see an error that it doesn’t exist, but it is still being called. The folder still resides in the “trash” if still needed."

I have logged into cpanel, and had a look for the database under phpMyAdmin, but can't see one called CubeCart_newsletter_subscriber.

Edited by Whelping Supplies

It will be a table within the CubeCart database. The way you phrased your comment above seems to suggest you think 'CubeCart_newsletter_subscriber' is a complete database unto itself.

Based on that, I wonder how you know there are 2200 records of email addresses?

"Are you still using the Havenswift email module to send out the emails? I see an error that it doesn’t exist, but it is still being called. The folder still resides in the “trash” if still needed."

You used to use our "Email Template and Throttled Sending" mod for V4 which allowed you to create templates for all the standard CubeCart V4 emails and then also throttled the sending of these - if you have upgraded from V4 to V6 then the code for this will no longer be used (or even exist) and so cannot / should not be throwing errors.

You have not purchased our V6 "Throttled Newsletter Sending" plugin (which allows you to define how many newsletters are sent every XX number of minutes and so sends newsletters to your whole mailing list in smaller timed batches - NO host would allow you to send 2200 newsletters in one go which is what CubeCart tries to do) so your website should still be trying to use the standard CubeCart newsletter functionality.

While it sounds like you should have our V6 plugin, it appears that you have other issues still anyway

Ian

LOL bsmither - yes that is what I thought. I bought the business about 5 months ago and it came with the v4 of cubecart, which then Al had to upgrade for me. I have not bought a havenswift plugin since, as I thought that would be updated too (not so I gather now?). I am new at this, and certainly not very clever at it either. I know (or think) there are 111 pages of subscribers because under Customers > Mailling List that is what I see. Also, most of my customers also have the "subscribe" box ticked in their details. 

Ian - how do I find the Throttled Newsletter Plugin? I have searched the marketplace and can't find it :-/

Ian - how do I find the Throttled Newsletter Plugin? I have searched the marketplace and can't find it :-/

Along with a whole load of other plugins (and also our third and latest skin !) they are available from our website https://www.havenswift-hosting.co.uk as haven't had time to get them up there.  There is a bit of configuration to do with this, so if you aren't very technical, then maybe order the installation and I will also take a look at the subscriber situation and ensure that it all works properly for you

Thanks Ian :-) My host down here has solved at least one error, so I have tried my luck sending the newsletter again, and have within 5 minuted received 1037 emails (before I had the good sense to cancel the send out) reading;

Domain whelpingsupplies.com.au has exceeded the max emails per hour (625/500 (125%)) allowed.  Message discarded.

I think I'll take you up on your offer! 

Oh dear - it's over 2000 emails :-8

Domain whelpingsupplies.com.au has exceeded the max emails per hour (625/500 (125%)) allowed. Message discarded.

This means they allow you to send 500 emails in total from your account per hour and the next 125 are deferred and held in the queue until the following hour but any emails above this 625 (in your case over 1500 !!) are discarded and not sent

• 3 months later...
On 1/10/2016 at 9:23 AM, havenswift-hosting said:

Along with a whole load of other plugins (and also our third and latest skin !) they are available from our website https://www.havenswift-hosting.co.uk as haven't had time to get them up there.  There is a bit of configuration to do with this, so if you aren't very technical, then maybe order the installation and I will also take a look at the subscriber situation and ensure that it all works properly for you

As of a few minutes ago, this plugin is also now available from the Marketplace for anyone else that may be interested