Product options pricing

keat

On my V3 site, I had a mod written that takes the option price and adds this to the base price, then displays the total price.

If we sell a single item for £1.00 and offer a price break for 10 items and sell at £9.00, on my V3 site it would show 10 items = £9.00

On the V6 site site, it shows 10 items at +£8.00,.

We had a number of customers would call us asking why the web site said £8.00, but theyv'e been charged £9.00.

I do recall Brian saying that this was possible last year. I'm happy to upload the V3 files if it helps with coding.

Other than the Quantity Pricing aspect, the base price updates (under javascript control) when an option is chosen that affects the price.

Your Quantity Pricing should have the schedule where 10 is a unit price of 0.90 (so, 11 in the basket is $9.90 for the base price).

What CubeCart does not do (yet) is update the base price to show the "quantity price" as the base price based on the value in the quantity field.

Bearing in mind that some of our customers are stupid.

We quite often got asked why they'd been charged too much, some customers actually being irate and accused us of being misleading.

Hence the reason, I had a mod written.

If you look at the screen shot from my V3, you'll see what I mean.

The base price for this product is £1.25

The option prices are +£4.50 and +£8.75, but my V3 has been modified so it shows the price that the customer is expecting to pay £5.75 & £10.00.

These modifications were done in ViewProd.tpl and ViewProdinc.php

options.jpg

I see what you've done. You have created, as an Option, a pseudo-quantity selection that affects the line-item total. This seems to be an effort at establishing "Quantity Pricing".

CC6 already provides for this on the Pricing tab, although not physically expressed that way. It allows for any quantity between X and Y at $Z per unit, while that CC3 option solution seems to suggest that the price discount applies only to fixed quantities, such as a "a carton of ten".

In CC3, how did you enforce the customer to setting the quantity to 5 or 10, so that the option chosen did not adversely affect the line-item total? That is, buy one, but choose the "5" option?

That is correct, we have price breaks, these are in a printed catalogue.

We unfortunaely can't overcome the buy 1 single and choose 5 though.

In this instance had the customer chose to buy 5 single items, his basket total would be £6.25, whereas had he looked he could have chosen the 5 option for £5.75.

It has caught a few customers out, but the girls will generally ring the customer, explain what he did and refund the difference.

The way CC is setup now, if a customer chose the 5 option he would see +£4.50, then when he gets his bill or goes to checkout, he sees that he's being charged £5.75.

It's much easier to explain to a customer that 'he did wrong but we gave him a refund', as opposed to 'it's your own stupid fault can't you do maths'

I'm more than happy to upload the two V3 files if anyone can make any use or sense of them.

What I would like for you to do is remove the price-change option from the product, and institute "Quantity Pricing" on the Pricing tab.

Unless you actually do mean a price break on case lots of only 5 or 10.

What are your thoughts on what happens with that?

I've just messaged the boss and asked .... if a customer calls by phone and orders 11 items, does he pay £10.00 (for 10) and £1.25 for the 11th, or does he get 11 at the 10 rate.

It appears that by phone or email he would indeed get the 10 rate, but via the web, if he wanted 11, he would either order 11 singles (and we'd call hime back) or he'd order 10 + 1.

She did say that no one has ever compalined though.

Now having said that, V6 is slick compared to V3, i'm liking it the more I play with it, so it would be nice if I could somehow drop our old price break options and somehow import these in to the pricing tab on V6.

Not a clue how I'm going to set about that at this stage, as we have about 4000 products.

Just given a little thought to this scenario,

Cableties, come in bags of 100, we offer price breaks for 100, 1000, 10,000.

Lets assume I drop my product options and use V6 pricing.

How would I stop a customer ordering 150 as we don't split bags.

"it will take me months"

Job security?

"we don't split bags"

Not splitting bags but listing the item at single unit pricing is a bit quirky.

You stop someone from ordering 150 singles by not selling them that way. Thus, a quantity of '1' gets one bag of 100.

Once the structure of how "Quantity Pricing" and Options as recorded in the database are understood, custom queries can be executed to manage all applicable products en mass.

Unfortunately, its the way V3 was originally configured.

One other issue i thought about would be things like fuses

We sell  in bags of 10, 25, 50, 100, 500 & 1000

I'm struggling to see how I could use the V6 pricing option on such as this.

A customer could put 27 in is order total, but as we don't split bags we don't sell them in that denomination.

http://www.beal.org.uk/electrical-products/fuses/domestic-fuses/domestic-fuses-1-amp/prod_192.html