[Resolved] product search - small bug

keat

When using the product search tab and searching for an item based on it's product ID, the search box becomes populated with multiple options where the dialogue box then displays over the top of the search button.

Maybe the go button should be above the drop down options ?

search.jpg

Assuming you're talking about searching from Admin and you want to see ALL items that fit that search term -  wait a few seconds, the choices will disappear, and the Go button will show. That will pull up info on all items matching your search term.

If you need to choose one in particular on the left box, click on that one search choice to be taken just to that one product..

I figured that the search box dissapears after a while, but it's an annoyance having to wait for it, especially considering that i've lots of changes to make.

Also regarding pulling up everything ascociated with the search, it does this and more, so in my example TR4, it's pulling up anything which contains  the phrase TR4, some of which is irrelevant.

I believe you can click on the actual line item in the list of suggestions and that chooses that item (and possibly auto-submits the form).

CubeCart's default search algorithm uses MySQL's "Relevance" mode, which does not work all that well on small record sets. Once you get up towards 500 records will "Relevance" return anything that makes sense. The other method searches for whole words. But these methods are used on the frontside.

In admin, partial word searches happen on the product_code, product_name, and product_description. So, in your example above, the sequence tr4 will be found in any of those three columns somewhere.

If you look at my example, I've no way of knowing from that dropdown list which is the TR4 I want.

From personal experience, I can rule out the first two as these say TR414 and TR418, and I know that it's not the the other two either.

However, someone with less product knowledge than me would struggle.

The fact that V6 populates this dropdown just goes to show how much hard work and how much slicker V6 is, but I'm not convinced this feature has made things any easier.

Just my opinion.

Unless you have installed a "Suggestive Search" mod for the storefront, the image you show above must therefore be from the admin's slide-out Search box. The storefront (stock CubeCart) does not use Suggestive Search.

As such, the container showing the list of suggested items is tall enough to show four items, but there is a vertical slider bar that suggests there exists three or four more suggested items.

Because this is the admin side of the store, I would hope that it is only you who will be using this feature, or, if there are other Sub-Administrators, I would want them to be as familiar with my stock as I am. (I could hope.)

To add to, or subtract from, the set of columns that are searched by this function is an easy edit.

Just to make it clear, the sequence tr4 would want to be searched in only which columns of the Inventory table? Or perhaps some more info captured by the search could be shown in the suggested list.

Do you have a suggestion for what would work for you?

I doubt for one minute that the girls would edit the wrong product, however, i do know eactly the moans and complaints I'll get when they can't find the correct product without having to do a double take. Just about every new innovation i give them comes up with great resitance. :-(

I've no issues with the auto populated drop down, I can see that this would be benficial.

I do feel that the 'GO' button shouldnt be obsured by it though.

Maybe just moving the 'GO' button to the side would do it.

Try admin/skins/default/templates/common.search.php

<div class="sidebar_content">
		<form action="?_g=products" method="post">
		  <h4>{$LANG.search.title_search_products}</h4>
		  <input type="text" name="search[product]" placeholder="&#xF002; {$LANG.common.type_to_search}" id="product" class="textbox ajax" rel="product">
		  <input type="submit" value="{$LANG.common.go}">
		   <input type="hidden" id="result_product" class="clickSubmit" name="search[product_id]" value="">
		   <input type="hidden" name="token" value="{$SESSION_TOKEN}">
		</form>
	  </div>

I'm guessing move the common.go line???