Order Email Sequence

keat

I'll start a fresh thread, as the one regarding "Template Teething Problems" covers about 4 different subjects and is now extremely difficult to follow.

I assume these are the checkout steps with admin emails being sent at different stages.

1. Customer clicks 'secure checkout' order becomes 'Pending', email sent to admin (if chosen option)

2. Customer chooses 'Gateway Option' and continue button. No email sent, Transferred to Gateway.

3. Customer returns from Gateway, Order is now marked 'Processing', email sent to admin (if chosen option)

If I'm correct, then what happens at step 2, (with admin email sent upon Processing set) where a customer clicks through to the gateway, has technical or DNS issues, he closes his browser after payment, or just plain old decides not to make the payment.

I assume as the cart never recieved the payment confirmation back from the gateway, the order would just sit as pending, as it did on V3. Therefore anyone who has 'Admin email upon Processing' would never receive the admin email.

In which case would another email and database status step be worthwhile at Step 2, upon customer choosing the gateway and clicking continue an email is sent call it 'Gateway'

We are a tiny operation, so I usually check each day to see if any Customers have zero orders, or if an order is stuck at Pending, and email them. Every once in a while that gets us a completed order. Obviously that would not work for a big business, but is that basically what you are asking about being made automatic in some way????

"he closes his browser after payment, or just plain old decides not to make the payment."

If the customer is taken to a payment processor's page to make the transaction, and does so successfully, but does not return to your store (for whatever reason), the payment processor will still (should) send the IPN directly to your store. (IPN: Instant Payment Notification - a POST request from the payment processor containing stats about the transaction.)

If denied, the payment processor should send the IPN with a failed indication.

If the customer walks away at the processor's page, there would not be an IPN.

"Would another email and database status step be worthwhile upon customer choosing the gateway and clicking continue?"

It is each business owner's decision to decide for themselves which notification is important to receive: any attempt to purchase, or only purchases where you now need to ship, and/or any other point in CubeCart's operation.

On 09/03/2016 at 2:50 PM, bsmither said:

If the customer is taken to a payment processor's page to make the transaction, and does so successfully, but does not return to your store (for whatever reason), the payment processor will still (should) send the IPN directly to your store. (IPN: Instant Payment Notification - a POST request from the payment processor containing stats about the transaction.)

If denied, the payment processor should send the IPN with a failed indication.

If the customer walks away at the processor's page, there would not be an IPN.

Yesterday, I identified 2 orders where status= Pending, and Gateway = PayPal/PayPoint.

This would indicate that the customer chose a payment gateway, left our web site but didn't pay, so no IPN.

Today, I talked to staff and both these orders were completed verbally using credit cards.

I guess had we been configured for Notification when status=processing, these would have been missed.

We don't use the cart status to it's full capability, we only rely on it for notifications of an order. Imagine it same as a fax or email order.

The cart contents are manually input on to our internal system, which will email the customer with his invoice once the order has been processed in house.

The point of the excersise was to see if switching the cart to notification on status 'Order Processing', but i've proven that this wouldn't work for us.

Prior to going live last weekend, there were probably only a handful of 15000 cart orders where the status was marked complete.