Many reports of basket being empty when viewing since upgrade to lates

fettlebox

Hi - I upgraded to latest version of Cube Cart on 17th April.

Since then I've had numrous reports that customers are adding items to basket & can see them tally up while they are shopping but when they go to view the basket it is empty.  Seems to span OS's & devices.  Most of them complete eventually.  I had another report tonight.  I tried myself & the first time I got the same problem.  After that it worked fine.  I'm on Linux/FF

Eg

I am having some trouble with your online store. I can browse & put things into the "basket" without problems, but when I select "view basket" to get to the checkout it tells me that it is empty & I am unable to proceed to the checkout.

Keeping getting a basket empty when I try to place an order.

Also stuck with ordering from website at moment - can't get to check out as refuses to acknowledge basket has any contents!

Any ideas before I raise a ticket?

Many thanks

I don't recall seeing a solution to what has been discovered recently with problems encountered when the customer uses Internet Explorer 11.

You experienced this using FireFox?

Add a utility to Firefox that allows you to watch the headers arriving and departing from Firefox (Firebug, Live HTTP Headers, HttpFox). Start capturing the headers. You probably need to delete the cookies that refer to your store's domain.

If you can manage to have this happen again, note whether the browser sent back the same cookie (or any cookie) for your domain that CubeCart gave to the browser.

When I went I explored your site, I, too, experienced this. I loaded the basket, then clicked on View Basket.

CubeCart wants to switch the HTTP protocol to Secure mode (HTTPS). In doing so, I am 302 redirected to:

https://fettlebox.co.uk/index.php?_a=basket

When my browser then asks for that address, my browser does NOT send back any cookie.

I am going to assume it is because the cookie belongs to www.fettlebox.com and not fettlebox.com.

So, please try this: In CubeCart admin, Store Settings, SSL tab, set the SSL Store URL to the same (only with https) as the Standard Store URL.

It looks like your SSL Cert is coded to use both www.fettlebox and fettlebox, so there shouldn't be an issue with making this change.

Confirmed. I deleted the cookies from your site, started all over, then manually entered:

https://www.fettlebox.co.uk/index.php?_a=basket

into the browser address bar, instead of clicking the View Basket link:

http://www.fettlebox.co.uk/index.php?_a=basket

which CubeCart had did its thing based on the store settings.

Excellent.

In all fairness, in light of your info I don't think the upgrade was to blame for this.  My store was closed from 12-17 April due to holiday.  On the 14th my hosting service replaced my SSL certificate.  I reckon that will be the cause. The 17th was the day I upgraded & first time it will have been used.  Coincidence.

Thanks again.  A rare hitch & not with CC anyway.

Hi again.

I don't know if this is related but since doing the above I have recieved no orders.

Just got a message from a user:

I can’t seem to log in. My password has been re-set and I’ve gone through the process of putting in a new password but the page just returns to the log-in format.  Is there a delay for re-set passwords to take effect, or are you experiencing problem at your end with the site?

I've just tried to log in to admin panel & shop & everytime I do so I just get taken back to my login screen.  I have deleted cookies to no avail.

Well, I think the new Cookie Domain setting, where you enter everything except the www, seems to have been put into effect.

Unfortunately, what was advised to enter into this field wasn't correct. The entry should probably have been fettlebox.co.uk, not .fettlebox.com (not sure about the leading period).

Unless Devellion can assist quickly, I can try, or you can try the following of what I did:

Using Firefox and the Web Developer Toolbar, I requested the page from admin.php and looked at the cookie CubeCart sent. I then used the toolbar's Add Cookie to add a new cookie with the correct host, using the same PHPSESSID. (I don't know if that would actually work as I don't have a login for your admin.)

Fettlebox reported to me by PM that his store is now fully functional.

The basket emptying problem was specifically solved according to posts #3-#5.

The cookie domain, I think, is a solution to the possibility of having multiple stores, one in each sub-folder. Thus, a cookie for the domain: www.example.com/store_alpha/ can be different than a cookie for the domain: www.example.com/store_beta/.

The term domain, to me, means a host/path as the entry in the Cookie Domain field shows in my cookie viewer under the host: attribute.

"Is there any reason why this cannot be set automatically?"

I do not know of a specific example of why a cookie's host/path would be different than what the assumed default should be. But I am not a cookie expert.

Setting the cookie domain correctly fixed me & customers not being able to log in but that was my own goal as I copy & pasted it from the advice from Al in post #8.  That was .com & should have been .co.uk.

My mistake - should have spotted that.

In summary none of my issues were down to cube cart.