[Resolved] For sale but not available...

Robin Somes

CC 6.06, Product_AddOns 1.02

All of our software on our shop site (www.piscesconservation.com/cube) is available as a download, with physical delivery of an installation CD only available as an optional extra, using the Product_Addons plugin. The installation CD is a separate product; its status is ticked, but on the Products: General tab, the 'Available for Purchase' option is unticked.

The end result is, the Installation CD is available as an optional extra for all our software titles - as we want it to be. However, it also appears in the list of software titles (albeit listed as unavailable), as a product in its own right, for instance here: http://www.piscesconservation.com/cube/analytical.html - 9th item down when sorted A-Z. This, we don't want, since on its own, it has no meaning.

If I untick the product's status, then it doesn't appear, but also isn't available as an optional extra. So, how can I stop it appearing in the list of software titles, but still have it available as an add-on?

I suspect this is in part related to its being allotted to a category when the product was first created; I can untick any or all 'Additional' category boxes, but once a 'Primary' radio button is activated, then it doesn't seem straightforward to remove that option. If I create a new product without assigning it to a category, then CC complains. So, damned if I do...

TIA,

Robin

Image1.jpg

For a store I manage, it sells magazines. For each issue, there is a digital copy.

One can buy the hard copy and a digital copy is included (not optional). Or, one can buy just the digital copy.

Your description is that you have a digital copy with an optional hard copy.

My solution was to create two products: H01 and D01. H01 has a "bundle" associated with it - the D01 product.

My solution was to create two products: H01 and D01. H01 has a "bundle" associated with it - the D01 product.

This isnt a very elegant or practical solution - it means creating and maintaining mutiple almost identical products which isnt good from a customer experience but also from an SEO point of view.

A better solution would be a plugin that allowed digital downloadable files to be associated with product options or option matrix items - a mod does exist for V4 which we use on several of our client's sites but this hasnt been written as a plugin yet

Ian

The problem is just slightly different from bsmither's solution - in his case, one can order either the hard copy (and get the digital copy too), or just the digital copy. In my case, I want the digital copy to be orderable, but the hard copy to exist only in the context of the digital copy. How to add on a physical product to a digital download is not the issue - Noodleman's plugin solves that admirably. The problem is, having done that, how do I get the generic stock item "Installation CD" to be available as an add-on, without being visible in the list of stock.

If the item's status is unticked, then it doesn't appear at all and isn't available to the plugin. If its status is ticked, then it's available to the plugin, but also shows up in the general list of items for sale. Which I don't want, because without being associated to a digital download of a particular software title, it has no meaning. Unticking the "Available for purchase" option only marks it as 'Unavailable' on the site, it doesn't hide it.

Example; this software has the option to add an installation CD:
http://www.piscesconservation.com/cube/analytical-software/axis-dd.html

But because "Installation CD" exists as a stock item, it's going to appear in the full list of stock items, and presumably at some point will pop up as a Featured Product.
http://www.piscesconservation.com/cube/1-installation-cd.html

There is no way of doing this is core CubeCart and as you are already using the Product Addon plugin to achieve some functionality, what you are looking to do would be best solved by an additional change to that plugin and would suggest speaking to the developer about it.

I have just given Noodleman a prod in the direction of this thread as he rarely gets onto these forums

Ian

Hellloooooooo.

Thanks for the nudge to this thread Ian.

I think what you really want to do is to create a new category, but have it hidden then assign the install CD to the hidden category. It will still be available as an addon, but not directly visible to the customer.

You also suggested that you are using version 1.0.2 of the module, but the latest version is 1.0.7. I would suggest updating to the latest version, especially as you are using CC6. See:
https://www.noodleman.co.uk/product-addons-1-0-7-release-notes.html

Hellloooooooo.

Thanks for the nudge to this thread Ian.

I think what you really want to do is to create a new category, but have it hidden then assign the install CD to the hidden category. It will still be available as an addon, but not directly visible to the customer.

You are very welcome !  I didnt know that the Product Addon plugin would still see products in a hidden category but that is obviously a simple solution !

Ian