[Resolved] Email Trouble

amandarose

Hi there!

I am having trouble setting up emails.  When I try to use PHP, it says "failed to execute".  And no matter how I put in my details I can't seem to get my SMTP settings to work.

If I use SMTP with SSL, I get this error:

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: Connection timed out (110)
SMTP connect() failed.

If I use SMTP I get this error:

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: No route to host (113)
SMTP connect() failed.

Example of what I'm doing:

Sending Method: (I've tried PHP, SMTP and SMPT with SSL)
Sender's Name: City Supply
Sender's Email Address: [email protected]
Outgoing SMTP Host: smtpout.secureserver.net
Outgoing SMTP Port (Default 25): 25
Use SMTP Authentication (Normally Required): (I've tried yes and no)
SMTP Username: [email protected]
SMTP Password: my password

I've even tried using different emails with different host and I still get these errors.  I'm not sure what these errors mean exactly.

I'm not concerned with my customers getting emails, but I am concerned about me getting an email if a customer places an order or tries to "contact us".  I've placed multiple test orders and I do not get notifications.  I have my setting changed to notify me when orders are pending, and orders that are placed automatically start out as pending.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help! :D

This is what I see on GoDaddy's Email Product page:

NOTE: "smtpout.secureserver.net" is an SMTP relay server. In order to use this server to send e-mails, you must first activate SMTP relay on your e-mail account. Log on to your Manage Email Accounts page to set up SMTP relay.

Visit your hosting account's control panel and search for any settings as regards email capability. You may need to get Customer Service for your hosting account involved.

As Brian has said, your best bet would be to get support from your hosting company Hostgator, but their support currently is notoriously slow and poor (we migrate quite a few customers from them for this and other reasons !)

So a few pointers to help just in case :

If you login into cPanel and go to Email Accounts and in the dropdown box next to the email account that you want to use for your store select "Configure Email Account" it will show you the exact settings that you should be using for your account and getting the correct Outgoing SMTP server name with the correct matching port number and then entering correct SMTP authentication are the really important things

Sending Method: Select SMTP or SMTP with SSL do not use php. I personally believe that should be removed from the list
Sender's Name: City Supply this is entirely up to you
Sender's Email Address: [email protected] this is the email addess you want to use to send store emails
Outgoing SMTP Host: smtpout.secureserver.net I am not sure about this smtp server but you should be able to use mail.citysupplyllc.com
Outgoing SMTP Port (Default 25): 25 this is the usual port for normal / insecure SMTP but will be different if using SMTP with SSL (usually 465)
Use SMTP Authentication (Normally Required): (I've tried yes and no) 99.99% this should always be YES
SMTP Username: [email protected] this should be a valid email account with the correct password entered
SMTP Password: my password

I hope that helps 

Ian

Hi Ian and Brian,

Thank you for your replies.  I was able to get the test email working after visiting my cPanel and using those settings.  However, the only email I am able to receive is the test email.  For some reason I am still not getting an order notification when I place test orders. 

You will probably need to check with your hosting company what is happening with those emails - if the SMTP settings are validating as correct then emails should be sent but there are plenty of other reasons why they may not be sent or not received.

You could try a completely different email address as the customer

Ian

You get the test email, which is sent to the store's general email address. If that address is the same domain as the store's web address, then we do not need to concern ourselves with one aspect of how some hosts handle emails (which I won't go into).

"For some reason I am still not getting an order notification when I place test orders."

When you say "I", are you expecting to see the emails sent to the store's general email address, and/or the email you have in your administrator profile? Or are you expecting to see the email that should be sent to the customer's email address?

CubeCart has settings that will notify the admin when an order goes to Pending or to Processing. Your admin profile has a setting to not be notified of anything at that address.

The Customer does not get an email when the order goes to Pending, only Processing and later.

As the store admin, I am trying to receive emails when a customer places an order.  My settings are set up to receive orders that are pending.  However, I am not getting a notification that someone has placed an order that is now "pending".  I've tried setting up multiple admin users and checking that they receive order notification too, but none of those email address are receiving a notification either.

Thank you for reminding me of what you posted initially.

I would really like to see if a folder named .mail is accessible via FTP. If so, maybe we can find the emails that should have been sent, and/or maybe the "Non-Delivery Report" bounce-backs if the email could not be delivered.

I am getting an email as a customer when the order is updated to complete.  But for some reason, still no admin order notification that an order was actually placed.

Sorry for all of the replies, I have been chatting with my host provider and they have confirmed that no emails have been blocked, they do not see any emails trying to come through for order notifications.