Error 500 When trying to upload image

Mrhouse

Seriously this by far crazy I've worked with tons of shopping cart this one breaks pretty easy. at this point in time I don't how to make this error stop 

how to create error 500 within seconds within the admin area.

1. Login admin area 

2. click on images folder on the left menu.

3. create a folder name it anything. 

4. click on files then click on the folder then click on the upload tab

5. upload image that is bigger 

questions that arise are my apache settings off it's running php 7 wouldn't run on anything lower then that.  this by far the most touchy cart ever in entire time online I've spent few hours with this think it's complete waste of my time. I'm doing more fixing then adding products. Which it gets on my nerve alot cause time is money for me.

I'll give this second chance I want to proved wrong here years ago this was good shopping cart system I wasn't able to break it by uploading an image to created folder then adding an image in the folder. 

Welcome Mrhouse! Glad to see you made it to the forum.

A 500 ISE probably means PHP has crashed, or actually decided to quit for safety reasons (sort of like Windows' BSOD).

Personally, I think PHP can save itself from many things that would otherwise leave programmers in the dark, but I do not know if running out of memory is saveable.

Recent efforts to bypass filesize limits to upload large images have been met with some confounding results. Generally, PHP defaults to keeping itself limited to 128MB or 256MB. Of course, hosting packages can give you more or less, and PHP is able to give itself more or less with an ini_set() command in the script - that is, if the hosting provider will allow it.

That said, CubeCart wants to make smaller versions of images for use by skins for whatever reason such a skin may need them. PHP's GD library will try to open a large filesize image, and in so doing, decompressing the JPG or PNG in memory could, and in this case probably did, exhaust what memory PHP had remaining available to it.

Creating the error_log should give us a better idea what is going on.

4 hours ago, Al Brookbanks said:

This is the most common problem with CubeCart. Please only upload web optimizes images and all should be ok.

Max 900px/350kb in size and all should be fine.

I agree with this - we see it a lot and it is getting worse as even basic cameras are getting better and better (read more massive images).  We see people trying to upload 5 MB, 10 MB, 20 MB sized images and while the settings on our hosting servers are much higher than almost every other company, GD does start complaining at these massive sizes

I have to say this is working very well: https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/1488

It works out the memory needed to resize the image. If its more than available it tries to increase the memory. It it can, great it does and resizes. If it can't it will abort and always return the source image with a warning to the user to optimise the source image. 

The only bad thing is that it will only work for JPEG.