Resolved - SMTP error

Hi - we've just set up a new store but are getting an error when testing the email.  All settings confirmed as correct & the email works using the same settings in an email client.

Has anyone any clues what may be the issue please?

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known (0)
SMTP connect() failed.

php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo is being given to SMTP->connect() in the file /classes/phpMailer/class.smtp.php to be used as host:port.

But these phrases are not being generated by anything in the CubeCart code.

In fact, a google search shows this to be a case where the web server box cannot get any DNS resolver to answer the question, "What is the IP address of this domain name?"

In other words, your server admin guy would need to update the resolvers in /etc/resolv.conf, maybe to use to public resolvers? EX:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Thnaks.  I've bounced it back to the server guys & they can't find an issue but have recompiled apache & php for good measure.   I've used the email details from my older v5.2.16 installation in the  v6 installation & that errors as well.

• 4 weeks later...

They changed the outgoing smtp host from mail.mydomain.co.uk to an IP address.  That's fixed it but i don't know why

As Brian said, the problem was with some configuration on your server or within you DNS zone file so that mail.mydomain.co.uk isnt being translated to an IP address - therefore entering the IP address "solves" the problem for email but you will still have the underlying issue.

You said this was a new store and you had a 5.2.16 store - do both exist on the same server and does the 5.2.16 store still work correctly for email ?

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes - both on the same server.  My older store works fine with it's own email details.  I'm wondering if it was possibly due to the domain for the new store still being new at the time - maybe dns hadn't resolved?  Dunno if that applies to email like it does web addresses.