Advice on upgrading a custom install

cutecube

I installed the latest cubecart a few months ago. I made changes to many pages manually coding each change since none of the changes were able to be made from the GUI. Not sure why that is. Anyway, I recently see a red banner on my admin panel saying that I need to upgrade to the latest version.

Since I have so many pages that have been modified by me, whats the best way to upgrade my site? I've looked through the forum and didn't find a definitive answer on this.

Thanks

Welcome cutecube! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

CubeCart is not programmed to edit the theme/skin from the administration backend. (Some third-party skins do have a control panel to give some minor control over some basic layout choices and color schemes.)

The actions you took may have involved (1) editing the skin templates, and/or you may have (2) edited the PHP code in the /classes/ folder. The same goes for the /admin/ skin templates and/or PHP code.

If only (1), then rename the folder containing the skin and edit that skin's config.xml file to have the same new name as the folder and use a new descriptive name. Now that this folder has a name not present in the installation package, it will not be overwritten. (CubeCart uses a whole-cloth upgrade approach.)

If (2), then you have a lot of work ahead of you re-entering the code edits into the class files that just got overwritten, or maybe that work can be automated by an expert's ability to use a File Compare/Merge utility.

Thanks, bsmither. Yeah, I did some pretty extensive changes to the php code and the skin template files.

Is there any 'diff' available from one version to the next, to allow us to know exactly what's been changed and decide how to merge the new version into the old, without putting the burden on the user to figure out what's been changed?

Any way to get rid of the red bar at the top, telling me to upgrade?

p.s. I'm impressed at the speed and level of help you and others provide here in the forum.

Is there any 'diff' available from one version to the next, to allow us to know exactly what's been changed and decide how to merge the new version into the old, without putting the burden on the user to figure out what's been changed?

There is no list of changed files / specific code changes but this is relatively easy to create yourself using one of the many tools available such as DiffMerge / WinMerge or Beyond Compare. If you have made extensive changes, then as Brian says, you are going to have a LOT of work ahead of you - just one of many reasons why it is not recommended to change core files but do changes instead via code snippets and plugins neither of which affect core code.

Ian

There is a two-edit trick to have CubeCart think it's at the latest version:

1. Edit the ini.inc.php version constant
2. Put a record in the CubeCart_history table

But, of course, that's just a lie.

Yes that can be done and will hide the upgrade reminder but for any number of reasons it is a bad idea - either upgrade or put up with a red one line banner

I can understand why you should upgrade if there is a security patch. That's why it would be nice to know what changed version to version. It's not hard to to a diff on all the files, but what is difficult is to determine if they relate to a security issue.

The red bar doesn't really bother me (yet), but it's good to know that there is a hack to remove it. Thanks bsmither.

Currently, I see no fault with this work-around.

No fault with the "work around" just questioning why anyone would want to do this to remove a perfectly valid upgrade reminder that causes no issues. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be or that a "solution" should be shown. Also fooling the system and yourself what version your store is on can't ever be a good idea and could cause problems with any future upgrade

Ian