keat

upgrading database

I almost took the plunge and upgraded the database from MySql 5.6 to maria 10.2 and then read all the warnings in Cpanel.

Has anyone else done this before I jump in ?

Al has mentioned his dev box (and maybe the demo store) runs MariaDB.

I don't know if he started with that or swapped out MySQL for MariaDB at some upgraded version.

I've done it and everything was fine. You may need to turn off strict mode afterwards. Otherwise there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

The demo store is currently running on MariaDB 10.2.

I'm a little concerned that accrding to Cpanel, there is no rolling back afterwards.

The rush to MariaDB was part valid and part "the latest thing" and was just what MySQL needed.  We have stuck with MySQL on all production servers (even the very busiest ones) and I would recommend doing that - both work well and if any form of popular support for MariaDB still continues then they could keep leapfrogging each other so why introduce any complication.  Except on the very busiest high transactional websites, nobody would ever notice any difference anyway

Whilst MYSQL5.6 works and I see no point in fixing something which isn't broken, it seems 5.6 is EOL.

This is my only real reason to update.

Doesn't time fly.

It's been almost a year since I started this thread and still havn't updated the database.

Does anyone envisage any issues with updating MySQL to 5.7