[Resolved] Upgrading but have PHP 5.4 issues.

keat

My V6 site is currently on 6.0.10 (also PHP 5.3.29), I'd like to trial an upgrade on one of my dummy sites, but 6.1.x requires PHP 5.4.

Here's my dilemma, my server has at least 3 x V3 sites, (stuck on PHP 5.3.29) with the possibility of at least 3 or 4 others being moved to it in the future.

There's a lot of work involved in updating the V3 sites to V6 due to custom mods and lots of tweaks.

Furthermore:

I'd have to update all the V3's to V6, before I could consider upgrading PHP to 5.4.

Before I could then consider upgrading my current development V6.0.10 site to 6.1.4.

Only then, if everything was successful, could I consider upgrading my live V6.0.10 site to 6.1.4

So whilst this forum isn't really for V3, is there a way to upgrade PHP to 5.4 but retain functionality of the V3 sites.. (see reasonings below)

Something I posted on another CC forum in Sept 15

Starting in PHP 5.4 htmlspecialchars() and htmlentities() assume charset=UTF-8 by default AND WILL RETURN BLANK IF YOUR INPUT IS NOT VALID UTF-8.

"In other words, (as I found after a few days of trouble shooting), anything using a specialhtml character ie something like the squared symbol ( ²), will result in a totally blank entry on the product page.

We sell things like cable which might be 32mm².
Whilst 32mm² appears in the database, it doesn't appear on the end product page, and would in fact delete the whole line."

you could get a new hosting package or server and migrate your CC6 sites to that.

Some hosting packages let you define PHP versions for each site or directory, you should review that with your hosting provider as it may be the solution. I would go to PHP5.6 or 7.

You can run 6.1.4 on PHP 5.2 temporarily if you replace the classes/config.class.php file from 6.0.12 and then remove these lines of code:

https://github.com/cubecart/v6/blob/master/ini.inc.php#L14-L16

Once happy you can put the PHP version to 5.6 or higher and replace the classes/config.class.php file from the most recent CubeCart version. 

Since the release of 6.1.0 we have seen a significant downturn in new CubeCart stores. It seems so many web hosting companies won't move above PHP 5.3 due to "register globals" being defunct. Register Globals was the worst thing to ever happen to PHP in my opinion. 

Hi Noodleman

I have a hosting plan that can be tempremental (those other 3 or 4 sites), hence the reason these could move over at some point.

My main V6 site and 3 of our better performing V3 sites are all on a dedicated server. This is the server i'm stuck on 5.3.29.

I'm currently (as we speak) creating a copy of one of those performing V3's to see how an upgrade to 6.0.10 goes.

I might end up having to look at Al's recomendations though.

There is a much simpler solution if it is your own dedicated server that you pay for - install CloudLinux and then not only can you select which version of PHP you run on an account by account basis, the older versions (5.2 to 5.5) are maintained from a security point of view.  V5.6 or V7 PHP are still far superior and faster but it provides a solution for V3 sites

Ian

1 hour ago, Al Brookbanks said:

Since the release of 6.1.0 we have seen a significant downturn in new CubeCart stores.

I wonder how many of those down turns are due to the error message "requires PHP 5.4", and then they walk away ??

I updated a 6.0.12 test site this morning to 6.1.4, using the technique suggested by Al, however, I'm now getting 404 errors (category does not exist) when trying to browse categories.

Debug shows these errors and the end of the debug

[1] 1: Not unique table/alias: 'Array' [ERROR - CACHE WRITE]
[2] 1: Not unique table/alias: 'Array' [ERROR - CACHE WRITE]
[3] 1: Not unique table/alias: 'Array' [ERROR - CACHE READ]

Any ideas ?

It's OK, I found it.

I was working with BSmither on a snippet addition at the weekend, where we encountered similar issues.

I had removed them from the cart side, but there were still PHP files in the folder:  includes/extra

I removed these and the 404 errors have stopped.