Sign in to follow this  
Claudia M

Default Inches not Centimeters in Product Dimensions

I cannot think of a reason why I would use centimeters instead of inches for my product dimensions in admin/products.  is there anyway to change this to have inches as the default?

Thanks in advance,

Claudia

842279376_ProductCentimeters.PNG.50aa81f5f738085576045ce8bb56ba44.PNG

We could add the default to Store Settings, and still have the selector for when it does make sense - for whatever that would be.

In Europe we have the metric system and centimetres is default. CubeCart is geared up predominantly for its home market 

Maybe we should have a default setting for imperial/metric. :)

Where would I find the code to default this to inches? I would like my product dimensions to default to inches, but I believe my admin skin is custom so I dont have the selection option in the store settings. 

This setting is not in Store Settings. It is in each product's Add/Edit, General Information tab.

In the admin template products.index.php, near line 174, find:

<select name="dimension_unit" id="dimension_unit">
  <option{if $PRODUCT.dimension_unit=='cm'} selected='selected'{/if} value="cm">Centimeters (cm)</option>
  <option{if $PRODUCT.dimension_unit=='in'} selected='selected'{/if} value="in">Inches (in)</option>
</select>

If the inventory record has not recorded the dimension unit ('cm' or 'in'), the first <option> will show as the default choice. To get a default of 'in', make sure it is the first option of the select list.