Creating an age gate

danielkehorne

Can anyone suggest where I might start in creating an age gate on a new install of V5. Basically the products on the shop are smoking related, so need to confirm that customers are over 18.

I was expecting there would be a plugin which achieved this. But from my research so far I haven't been able to find one.

"Need to confirm that customers are over 18."

Curious: what method of confirmation would you propose to employ?

I've always had my doubts as to the efficacy of any method that could be employed over the Internet. You never really, actually know who you are talking to on the Internet.

I see three possibilities: credit card verification, a copy of the T&C compliance, or adding legalese in the existing T&C document.

CC5 has the feature to require acknowledgement that the customer has read the Terms and Conditions document. Whether or not they have actually done so is not checked (that would be an interesting enhancement). But they must assert that they have read it, and your T&C can contain whatever legalese is necessary in your jurisdiction.

If your requirements dictate a separate acknowledgement regarding age limits, deleterious health effects, restrictions and conditions on delivery, etc, then copying the code for the T&C checkbox to create a "I Am..." checkbox should be trivial.

These documents must be [indicated that they have been] read before registration and/or purchasing.

For anything more complicated, I would be interested to learn your thoughts.

Anyone can lie and enter (or setup a fake Facebook account).

Preteens join FB with fake birthdates all the time to meet FB cutoff date - my own grandchildren did.

I agree - this is so easy to fake that unless some more sophisticated checking (such as credit card validation) is put into place, I cannot see any reason why any website would ever have this type of checking - do Budweiser really think that a six year old cannot enter a birthdate that "proves" they are more than 18 !

Ian

Ghost customers wouldn't seem reasonable to me for this type store. Unless you use Standard PayPal, you are going to collect credit/debit card info anyway, so verifying CC seems reasonable. Can minors open a credit card account with an adult? I don't know.

If not, that seems the most reasonable way to go to me. You would have done your due diligence in preventing underage customers, and thus likely eliminate liability.

BUT it warns the user the content may not be suitable for them rather than blasting it in their face. I would say that even if it can be faked or not it's the ethically correct thing to do.

That could also be an encouragement for people under 18 that there is something they might be interested in ! LOL

So in conclusion .. you can't win. :) You could say that if it makes them interested you are more likely to have new customers when their time is ready. In that case everyone wins (I think). :P

I suppose it depends on whether you want to be seen to be doing something (in which case this is a good way) or to actually stop under 18 getting access via some sort of validation / approval such as with a credit card which could be a real PITA for normal customers

Ian

As a very simple solution, I have the responsibility on the purchaser, like stated anyone can come up with a fake ID.

I put in a mandatory option on the product and ask the question of the buyer, are you over the age of 18 YES / NO, obviously if not selected, we don't process the order.
that they then are making the declaration. 

BUT it warns the user the content may not be suitable for them rather than blasting it in their face. I would say that even if it can be faked or not it's the ethically correct thing to do.

p.s. I've made a plugin for this which I'll share tomorrow for a couple of beers.

This is our thinking behind it.

Al, whats the best way for us to buy you a couple of beers?

Thanks again.